The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selector shaft float
Another annoying query from a newbie....
Gearbox off (late 4 speed) to fix problem jumping out of first.  Yep, selector spring broken....  anyway spring properly jammed so ended up taking out all three shafts to release selector forks, quite lucky as all selector springs were worn/bent.
Now to the problem; I was aware that there were shims on the 1st/2nd shaft and managed to recover them without dropping them into the box. However there were no shims on the other two shafts. These screw into the back of the gearbox and there seems to be no positive location. On screwing the reverse shaft in fully I found that the selector movement was restricted and the spring loaded ball wouldn't engage properly until I screwed it back a bit....
There was evidence that the selector shafts had been worked on before...
Have spacers been lost??
Is the shimming only critical for 1st/2nd gear selection??
HELP!! 
Any advice gratefully received.........
Cheers from Chris and Hilary
Have a word with Andy Bird - I’m sure he put you right
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Only one sector shaft has shims, the others are adjusted by screwing them in or out as you have discovered, just set them up in the correct place and lock them in position with the nuts.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Ian, that's put my mind at rest. I assume the 'right' position is when selector balls engage properly and the change lever moves cleanly through the gate...
Thanks again
Cheers from Chris and Hilary