The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil leaks
I've seen a lot posted about sevens 'heavy breathing' and mention of the 4 breather holes in the valve chest cover. This seems to relate to earlier cars, ours has the later cast aluminium cover and no breather holes.  Do the later cars have any breather provision, is it necessary, and if it is can I add it without damaging standard parts??
Thanks to anyone who can help....
Cheers from Chris and Hilary
Aluminium valve covers are aftermarket items for your car and a breather pipe can be run to your air cleaner without damaging original bits.
Production Austin Sevens had pressed steel covers with 4 small breather holes. The aftermarket aluminium covers can seal better aginst the valve chamber, but it was usually left to the person fitting them to decide on breathing arrangements.
Robert Leigh
The oil filler caps are not a good seal and will allow a little bit of breathing as will the dipstick and starting handle housing.
Thanks everybody.
I've done quite a lot of work on the engine and think I'm going to refit the cover as it is and see if the work I've done has reduced the leaks. If not I'll rig up a breather....
Cheers from Chris and Hilary