The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battery function
Gary - I've got a good one. (That is one of the few things which appears to be fitted and working properly...!)

I've bought a pre-owned conditioning charger cheaply from ebay and will try and resurrect the battery first now, just for fun....
(26-10-2017, 09:13 AM)JonE Wrote: Gary - I've got a good one. (That is one of the few things which appears to be fitted and working properly...!)

I've bought a pre-owned conditioning charger cheaply from ebay and will try and resurrect the battery first now, just for fun....

The old battery wouldnt ressurrect even with an intelligent 1.5A charge (just cut out and green light went on after 15 mins) so that will become an interesting portable step to stand on in the garage.

Tayna did me an 80A Exide for LESS than 60 quid posted; they are cheap anyway but have occasional 10% off on facebook and if you sign up for their e-newsletter, you might get a discount.... Big Grin

Arrived very professionally in less than a day, and going to get it all going at the start of the week. It seems lighter than the posh (dead) rubber bodied thing.
In many applications an occasional charge at a few amps briefly to 7.7 or more volts or whatever the battery peaked at, was desirable to ensure all battery brought into operation. On the other hand, many batteries in regular varied use experienced full charge by one means or another.
If anything could, a prolonged slow charge was reckoned to remedy sulphated batteries, but often needed a high voltage to start.
 Most commercial chargers  are arranged to be reasonably foolproof so max voltage is limited.  A simple old style charger with generous output can be used with resistance wire, voltmeter etc to cover all situations but has to be closely monitored.
The advent of low and no maintenance batteries with cadmium and different characteristics has greatly complicated matters and made much traditional practice and recommended voltages inappropriate. It is now difficult to find authoritative info as was readily  available from books in the past.