The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW cam followers input needed
hi all,

there is the chance to make new cam followers.

they would have to be made in large quantities to keep prices sensible.

so the number of different radiuses on the end would be limited.

ive seen differend radius on here, so standard is 3/4 inch.

and race is 1 1/2

would there be enough takers for 1 1/8

or would it be better to supply an 1 1/8 as a flattend follower.

what do you think.

thanks tony
Tony, I think standard is 5/8in radius. Although I’ve used 2in radius on race engines, the wear rate is pretty unimpressive and I wouldn’t recommend on road cars. I’d go for standard and 1 1/4 in only. If anyone needs different there are people who will modify them. Worthwhile project though. I’ve just about run out.
Alan Fairless
hi alan,

thanks for correcting me.

the measurements were a bit of the top of my head.

i ask for input now, as i will have to make one order. add on sizes wont be possible.

thanks tony
Tony/Alan on standard engines 3/4" works it gives an increase in performance without any loss of torque and I have been using 1 1/2" for race engines without any cam wear problems 2"radius does cause wear. Decent s/h followers for reprofiling are getting harder to find. Terry.
Standard followers are 3/8" radius.
Tony

I suspect that two types will cover most use cases.
I suppose it depends upon the price/volume ratio - as always.

Any ball park idea of a sales price if you sold, say, 50 sets?

Charles
I think Charles is correct. Two types will cover most applications and if you want something different then they can always be re-profiled. I had a set re-profiled this summer and I was able to put 8 good ones together. I do have a some good ones left but probably only one set at the most.

Steve
Robert is right, 3/8" radius is standard.
I'd suggest to offer these alongside 3/4" radius as a general 'tuning' mod.
People wanting anything more fancy will doubtless grind to their own specs anyway.
Hard to believe these are rare. A few succumb by being split. Any wear is correctable. Originals through hardened and if persons want to modify replacements will need to be the same. If 3/4 rad will bodies be made longer?
It's not that they are rare Bob it's what is suitable for reprofiling due to the depth of the hole down the centre as it varies quite a lot. Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)