The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear type pump pressure relief valve
I have a recollection that someone clever (possibly Paul Bonewell) redesigned the "ball" part of the pressure relief valve to work better with a gear type pump/pressure fed crank. Memory tells me that it used a mushroom shaped replacement for the ball. I'm certain that I've got one somewhere but can I find it? 

Does anyone have a photo or sketch of what the part looks like so that I can make a replacement?

Thanks

Charles
Paul Bonewell indeed.
Charles - I think they may have been Cosworth Fiord bits .
 Will email you with details.
Grandchildren just arrived - so may take a while !
Geoff
Thanks Geoff
Charles photos of pump assy including relief valve and spring, I usually make the valve adjustable by tapping the cap nut 5/16 bsf and turning down the head of a 5/16bsf bolt for the adjuster.  
                                                 Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Charles 
Cosworth Ford bits available from Titan Motorsport in St.Neots 

PRV plunger A01-164-312-00-A3
PRV compression spring A01-164-239-00-A3
PRV bucket (seat) A01-164-306-01-A3

Spring pressure adjustment via similar arrangement to Terry's .
Geoff
Thanks chaps. Very useful.

About 10 years ago I made a remote PRV that mounts on the bulkhead. It uses A7 workings with a round ball in a simple aluminium block, with the bypass going straight back into an extended oil filler (mag engine). The original is blocked up solid so can't bypass.
It's worked perfectly for all these years but recently I've had odd fluctuations in pressure, suggesting something has worn or been damaged, hence the "back to basics" approach. 
I'll investigate the problem and come up with a solution.

Terry / Geoff, what by-pass pressure (range) is that spring & plunger good for please?

Charles, I wonder did you ever take a look to see how much oil was exiting your remote valve and heading back to the sump?
Given that the pump will run at 100psi it is instructive to see how much goes through the bypass, especially when you blip the throttle.

Charles
Chris pressure set at 65/70psi oil warm, adjustment range 40 to 100psi. Pressure 80 with cold oil always warm up engine before a run or keep revs down for first couple of laps as 100 not good for seals and filter. Terry.