The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
projects birthday

.jpg   Ruby tax book.jpg (Size: 136.12 KB / Downloads: 360) My new project is 83 years young today. 28th December.
I notice the incredible annual road tax charge of £25. This must be about £750 or even more per annum in today's money.
Your car is just a baby, my RN is 88 on December 31st!! 
I did post recently that I couldn’t understand why so many cars were registered so late in the year, presumably there must be some angle that made it worthwhile?
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
(29-12-2019, 12:13 AM)Rogerchummy Wrote: I notice the incredible annual road tax charge of £25. This must be about £750 or even more per annum in today's money.
The sticker dates from 1968 to 1974 when the rate was £25. In 1968 the amount was equal to £436 today and by 1974 to £262. Still expensive. In those days a telephone was still considered by the Civil Service, who ran the nationalised GPO (General Post Office) as a luxury item. Installation charge? £20 - unless you opted for a 6-foot cable and a phone in the hall on a table when it was reduced to (if memory serves me correct) £15.
You I remember having a telephone installed in 1984 for £75.00. This was the standard charge and in our case included three telegraph poles from the lane end to the house!
£25 road tax. Yes it had been £15, then £17.50 and then it rocketed to £25. As a young man eager to be on the roads I just paid it.
As background for a talk I give on Austin 7s through the decades I did some research regarding various costs of motoring in 1933, when compared to today.

Many will already know, so apologies to you all, but this might be new to some. Tax was based on a 'horsepower' calculation from the RAC. But it wasn't the 13BHP we think about, it was based on piston size, being:

diameter x diameter x number of pistons, all divided by 2.5.

For the Austin 7 this gives 7.8 and a charge of £8, or around £500 in today's money.
It was the original 696cc version which gave an RAC horsepower calculation of 7.2 and so the name Austin 7.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!