The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Length of Ruby
Good evening.

Does anyone know how long a Ruby is without the bumpers? Mine is buried under a heap of clutter and I cannot get at to measure it. I am trying to plan the benches in my new garage and want to plan it around the car.

Regards,

Jamie.
Mine is 127" including bumpers and only 120" without - the bumpers adding 3.5" at each end.

Colin
Thank you, Colin.

And now to try and work out the most efficient way to fit in benches, storage, heavy vice, small swivel vice, bench drill, grinder, small linisher, gas bottle, compressor and small lathe. How much is a Tardis?

Jamie.
As I have done all the work on my car either on the drive or in/from a single garage, I have found it important to plan each job before starting - if outside, the car has to be mobile at the end of the day or if it rains.  When inside, the car needs to be the right way round for better access and daylight at the business end.  At least a Ruby is narrow - I can fit items down the side of the garage and still get in an out - with my friend's Porsche 928 it was necessary for him to enter and exit via the boot.

As you know, hanging things on walls and in the roof can help free up space, but having somewhere properly to work with vice, power and good light is essential. 

There is more than one full size Tardis available on ebay - for about £4000 - but they don't show the inside...

Regards,
Colin

PS It occurs to me that Austin intended the Ruby to be 10ft long? As it says in Barney Sharratt's 'The Austin' book, Issigonis apparently aimed for 10ft for the Mini (including bumpers) but missed it by 1/4", which upset him.
Colin,

Hanging things off from the wall is definitely going to be happening.

I shall probably also fit a shelf all around, just above head height, and get some board down on the rafters to store some stuff. I hope to be able to put a large air tank up there as well to increase the capacity of my relatively small compressor.

Bench layout is the thing which I somehow suspect will take the most time to get as near to right as possible.

Regards,

Jamie.
Brilliant idea on Facebook, tried to link it but was unable. Put Storable work bench in the search engine. Very clever very usable idea
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
You mean this one?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=621442...rk%20bench
Thanks Andrew that’s the one . I thought that it was brilliant.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Nifty.
Very impressive bench. I'd have to have the legs solid or with swing up casters I could bash things on it! Even heavy duty lockable castors might do it but that aside, an excellent idea.