The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo
Hi sorry to be such a nuisance with so many questions, but here's another. The dynamo fitted to my Big 7 is Lucas C45YV BN95 228227 12Volts. Is it normal to have a 12v dynamo on a 6v system, and would any C45 dynamo be suitable, if this is so it will be going to be repaired as soon as they open after the New Year. Thanks p.s. it is negative earth.
It is no nuisance - no questions, no point to Forum!

Hmmm Are you sure the car is still 6 volt?

I suppose it is, if you have a 6 v battery. The battery determines the base line voltage of the system.
I would check the bulbs, coil and control box, and starter, to see if anything else has been changed.

If a 12v starter, that would explain the sluggish starting.

The 6v dynamo on the Seven is happy to generate 12, so I suppose a 12v dynamo will be ok generating 6, but other people will know more about this than I do.

6v dynamos suitable for the Big 7 pop up on flea bay from time to time.
Mike,

Are you sure it's 12v ? I ask because there's a 'Used' 1939 6v C45YV3 BN95 with service number: 228227 on ebay at the moment for £145 and said to be for an Austin 8 (it's not for a Morris 8 as the BN designation shows it's for an Austin). I'd have thought the 12v version of the above dynamo would definitely have a different service number - unless of course a previous owner has had it rewound as a 12v. The voltage should be stamped on the cylindrical steel body.

I've just checked, and the above C45YV3 BN95 was fitted to both the 1938/39 Big 7 and the 1940/47 Austin 8.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-8-Dyna...SwW8ZdIIL0

Here's another cheaper one for £75 with 3 days to go to end of auction:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-8-Dyna...Swu4pd5k31

The 1939 to 48 Morris 8 Series E also used a 6v C45YV A108 dynamo but with a service number 228269 - the end plates will probably be a different orientation and possibly the
pulley wheel will be different too - the Morris 8 doesn't have that bladed cooling disc shown fitted behind the pulley as on the Austin 8 one on ebay.
Hi thanks for answers so far the dynamo has certainly got 12v stamped on it, it doesn't look has it's been over stamped, quite puzzling.