The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MEASHAM NIGHT RALLY 2020
Steve & Malcolm, I do remember doing the Cotswold Water Park one, but David and I were gradually improving getting 2 thirds and a second in the 1997, 98,99 Meashams; one of these, I can't remember which, we arrived at the first control to discover that en route we had parted company from the control sheet. A hasty about Face and we eventually reclaimed it, laying in the road with 2 sets of vintage tyre marks crisply imprinted across it, that I shall never forget. I will also never forget the North Yorks one where we broke a half-shaft on the Heavy 12 at about 0230 hrs and had to wait 3 hours in sub zero temps  for the RAC to rescue us; David was somewhat less than enthusiastic to my suggestion  that we removed ourselves and our personal effects and set fire to the 12 just to keep warm.
I think everyone of us who's done a Measham or two has a story. Malcolm will remember the episode with the car that had switchable rear lights and the driver's conversation at the half way halt with the DSO who knew exactly what was going on but as an old road rally man himself couldn't admit that he knew. We couldn't stand up for laughing Big Grin. I did it one year a very long time ago in a 30hp Crossley saloon. We had a driver and timekeeper in the front and I sat in the back with the maps and a speaking tube! The car had just been re-upholstered in very expensive green buttoned leather and it was a bit like going rallying in a Gentleman's Club. I can still vividly see the marshal as we crossed Caydale Mill Ford. The road here crosses a ford but the in and the out aren't, quite, in line with each other. The beck was in spate and it would have been quite possible to turn to the right in the middle and head upstream. As we approached, the lights picked out a marshal wearing a full set of fisherman's waders standing on point duty in the middle showing us the way to go. This all at about 2am in the morning. A brilliant event. Do it if at all possible. The sense of achievement if you finish is immense. Anything else is a bonus. 

Steve
Gosh! I haven't really thought about the Measham for years, but this thread has certainly started bringing back the memories.

I think the first one I did was in 1969 in probably the heaviest snow conditions in which it has ever been run. Having read up previous reports I recall being somewhat in awe of the event, and on the way to the start I asked Tony if we should just aim for a finish, or go for the win. Stupid question! OK win or bust it is!

We started from the Long Mynd Hotel in Church Stretton, which is accessed by a relatively steep hill with several sharp bends. Immediately after the start, descending the hill, I saw Derek Fearnley and Richard Procter standing on the outside of one of the bends. I learned afterwards that Richard had taken a step back at our approach, and disappeared down a thirty foot drop...

Into the rally, and at one point we approached a check point at the top of a hill; the only problem was the hill was blocked with Vintage cars trying to make the ascent. I was about to bail out and climb the hill on foot to get our card stamped, but Tony had other ideas, swung the steering wheel to the left, climbed the verge and overtook everybody - mud and snow everywhere!

I had just been to see the film Monte Carlo or Bust, and had not been impressed with the cars in the film having their wire wheels looking like solid discs of snow; but come the halfway halt, that's exactly how our wheels looked!

Then there was the occasion when I called a right turn at a junction, only for Tony to turn right before the junction into someone's driveway. A quick circuit of the garden, over the rockery and back down the driveway saw us back onto the route.

In thick snow the route is usually fairly well defined for later cars by the tracks of the pioneers; at one point we were well behind time so I decided to cut a loop of the route out. I can still recall Tony's 'Are you sure?' - I was directing him down a lane of virgin snow - but bless him he obeyed without further question, and at the next control we were back on time.

And then there was another occasion when we were following my brother Tony in his Riley Lincock; coming up to a bend I called to Tony 'I don't think he's going to make the corner', and sure enough he mounted the bank briefly, but more spectacularly all his lights went out as he caught the light switch with his hand. But most memorable was Tony's response to my call - 'Neither are we!' - and sure enough we visited the bank too!
(18-12-2019, 09:20 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Gosh! I haven't really thought about the Measham for years, but this thread has certainly started bringing back the memories.

I think the first one I did was in 1970 in probably the heaviest snow conditions in which it has ever been run. Having read up previous reports I recall being somewhat in awe of the event, and on the way to the start I asked Tony if we should just aim for a finish, or go for the win. Stupid question! OK win or bust it is!

We started from the Long Mynd Hotel in Church Stretton, which is accessed by a relatively steep hill with several sharp bends. Immediately after the start, descending the hill, I saw Derek Fearnley and Richard Procter standing on the outside of one of the bends. I learned afterwards that Richard had taken a step back at our approach, and disappeared down a thirty foot drop...

Into the rally, and at one point we approached a check point at the top of a hill; the only problem was the hill was blocked with Vintage cars trying to make the ascent. I was about to bail out and climb the hill on foot to get our card stamped, but Tony had other ideas, swung the steering wheel to the left, climbed the verge and overtook everybody - mud and snow everywhere!

I had just been to see the film Monte Carlo or Bust, and had not been impressed with the cars in the film having their wire wheels looking like solid discs of snow; but come the halfway halt, that's exactly how our wheels looked!

Then there was the occasion when I called a right turn at a junction, only for Tony to turn right before the junction into someone's driveway. A quick circuit of the garden, over the rockery and back down the driveway saw us back onto the route.

In thick snow the route is usually fairly well defined for later cars by the tracks of the pioneers; at one point we were well behind time so I decided to cut a loop of the route out. I can still recall Tony's 'Are you sure?' - I was directing him down a lane of virgin snow - but bless him he obeyed without further question, and at the next control we were back on time.

And then there was another occasion when we were following my brother Tony in his Riley Lincock; coming up to a bend I called to Tony 'I don't think he's going to make the corner', and sure enough he mounted the bank briefly, but more spectacularly all his lights went out as he caught the light switch with his hand. But most memorable was Tony's response to my call - 'Neither are we!' - and sure enough we visited the bank too!
Some years back Fenella and I did the Measham in hard frosty weather. One of the casualties was a broken leg, after the driver had stopped the car. He needed a pee and slipped over on the sheet ice as he got out!
Robert Leigh
"If the navigator can keep a steady stream of comments describing the route (corners, gradients, bridges, not just the junctions)"
I only disbelieved Mike once - as we crossed a hump-back bridge at speed - and got a well-deserved "Told you so".  Being able to "read" the road from an OS map is most useful and something that can never be practised too often.

"Then there was the occasion when I called a right turn at a junction, only for Tony to turn right before the junction into someone's driveway. A quick circuit of the garden, over the rockery and back down the driveway saw us back onto the route."
Do you remember the farmyard Mike? We turned into it by mistake (it must have been yours this time!) and hit the 6-bar gate that, fortunately, was not locked. The gate sprang open and, as we did a circle of the yard, bounced off the "open|" stop and then, as we approached, rebounded off the wall so we didn't even have to stop to open it. God was with us....
Thank you Charles for the copy booklet on rallying, I have ordered a roamer, sorted the suggested map board and arranged suitable pencils and eraser.
In order to prepare further I would really like to borrow or receive a scan of a recent Measham set of route notes, I will return them of course. Does anyone have a Barrow Potti light they no longer need and would like to sell?
Son Tom and I are set on going.
Happy Christmas to all
Thank you Jack
Someone was offering a poti on the VSCC site recently.
I purchased a x2 magnifier with built in LED from poundland and it works very well.
I know some regular competitors who practise plotting in the car outside in the garage in the weeks before the rally.They also do some road miles as well.
On the actual rally they plot in the car.[they find there are less distractions than in the start venue on the actual event].
A good led striplight above the screen helps.
A simple chart [about the mid point of the average speeds expected should be good enough on your first Measham], with the time taken and distance to be covered should be good enough to gauge your speed say 25 mph 10 miles should take 24mins.
Get the route correct and drive as quickly as possible,its surprising how much time you can lose in controls.
A decent clipboard helps the marshals,present it to them correctly with your finger pointing to the correct position,check time on entering control and make sure its correct before leaving,
Andy
I would reiterate the advice to check that the marshal has marked the time card correct at each control.  Remember that the Measham can be even more of an ordeal for the marshals than for the crews taking part.   On one Measham I was given a wrong time at a Time Control late on in the rally, about 4.30 in the morning.   When the results were published, I had incurred a 30 mark penalty for breaking the 3/4 rule ( that is when you do a section between time controls in less than 3/4  of the time allowed), despite following the route correctly.   According to the results I had averaged about 56mph on the section, not likely in an Austin 7 on minor roads!   The marshal had misread the clock and the onus was on me  and my navigator to make sure it was correct.    It didn't make much difference at the end of the day and you put it down to experience.
You never stop learning when you do navigational rallies.   Just when you have a good grasp of what to do, you find that your eyesight isn't as good as it once was and you are back to square one, hence the empty trophy cabinet!
It ceratainly helps both parties to avoid errors, when marshaling clearly say the time you intend to write dow,n, the navvy always check what is written against the clock. I know Andy is much younger and more athletic than I am, but how anyone can do the plotting in any sort of Seven saloon defeats me. Tables at signing on tend to be reserved hours early, tartan blankets serving instead of the notorious German beach towels. At a certain Xmas lunch we found ourselves being identified as utter loonies for doing the Measham. This from a couple of chaps who do 24 hour 2CV racing! All just minor sporting eccentricities, I suggest.

I must find the
Poti or similar device to help read the forum.
TOPO have had to confirm that MUK will enforce the arbitary ban on attempts to improve the safety of entrants and other road users by excluding cars using LEDs. This will certainly stop quite a few Measham entries, but if it keeps Colnbrook happy then it must be all right.