The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MEASHAM NIGHT RALLY 2020
(16-12-2019, 10:44 PM)Charles P Wrote: ... I humbly disagree with Mike about the need for a poti. With modern led headlamps and a cheap magnifying glass you can live without one. Poti's are something else bulky in between the navigators feet! ...

True; we didn't have LEDS in my day, and illumination was always a problem! And now, I would certainly need a magnifying glass, and I think i would favour a poti rather than a hand-held glass ... but each to his own  Angel
(16-12-2019, 10:00 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: As that 'fearless navigator who knows his stuff', I would say the most important factor is, indeed, the navigation. It doesn't matter how fast the driver is, or how well you as a team keep to time, if you're driving on the wrong road you're not going to do very well!

Here's my first chance to pay public homage to Mike who navigated for me. It was not until a replacement navigator (an experienced racer) stepped in for one event and within two miles was so frightened that he threw up over the side that I knew just how cool-headed Mike was. To give him his full due, when I asked the replacement if I should slow down he replied bravely, "No. No. keep going, they'll be nothing left soon." Now, you might think that an A7 is not capable of frightening rally-type speeds and, of course, it's not - but, put one down a narrow, twisting ice-covered road in the dark and it's not exactly a calming experience for any passenger....

Some further thoughts.

First, if you have not much nav rally experience then get in as many practise miles in the dark as you can. Borrow previous route books or get an experienced pal to make some up for you. Measham regs indicate only plotting by grid refs, so the navvy's happy hours of preparation sat at the kitchen table marking spot heights and northing and easting numbers etc are not necessary.

A Romer is vital, still available from Don Barrow on his website. Some crews use a Potti, they must be younger and slimmer than some of us as there is not much room in a Seven cabin, particularly when the crew's volume is significantly increased by layers of thermal underwear. Test miles will let you judge the use of a headtorch, for some of us the reflection on the screen in the few moments when the navvy looks up to see where we are dazzles the driver so much that he also can't see where we are. I found a music stand light is small, clips on the glove compartment or under the dash, and gives much focussed light  with no glare.

As much discussed on the forum, LEDs transform Seven lighting. What they do best is greatly reduce lights' requirements, the third brush can be adjusted for between 4 and 5 amps and provide all lighting. The dynamo is happy, the battery is happy and the driver nearly stops worrying about elecrtics, leaving plenty of time for other anxiety.

The regs this year very clearly indicate that only two front lights are acceptable. Maybe this is because of the range of clubs invited, and Historic Rally boys must not dazzle innocent drivers with a full gallery of Cibie or Hella spots on their car. One vital additional light is a good reversing light. Perhaps some of the rally masters on the forum have never needed a reversing light, but us humble souls who all too easily wrong slot in the dark desperately need to see where we are going in stern gear.

Whilst LEDs reduce power consumption I am still fitting an additional battery for the Measham. My previous night nav in the Ruby was the Oulton Park Rally, starting in daylight and finishing about midnight. The Measham is through long hours of darkness. A Ruby allows putting another battery in the box on the scuttle, rather safer idea than having a spare one behind the driver's seat. Still looking for battery locating strap, discussed on the forum but none yet unearthed. I am happier about the petrol can suitably carried outside on the luggage rack rather than sitting on the back seat.

Starting your nav rally career with the Measham. This will either be total aversion therapy and we'll never hear from you again, or your life will be transformed and you will regularly sweep away the plates, jugs and other symbols of victory in this arcane but basically very sociable and friendly branch of motor sport. Could hardly be a better year to start if you live in Wales or the West Midlands. Measham in Feb, Rali Eyri in April, MGCC Cotswold in in May and Ian Grace's Cotswold in June, Welsh Scatter/Gwasgarog Gwymraeg  and the Cheshire Night Nav both in October. The date of the Batho will no doubt be sorted in due course.

Sir Herbert stared the competition career of his Baby within weeks of production beginning. Whilst he probably did not imagine nav rallying I'm sure he would be very proud of Sevens still being so active and in the hands of some forumists, winning classes and events.

One last thought. Whether I am driving or navvying,  the crew always shake hands just before setting off, and again after finishing. This is part of the understanding that anything said when the red mist descends during the event is not to be taken personally or repeated afterwards!
(17-12-2019, 11:04 AM)Steve kay Wrote: ... I am happier about the petrol can suitably carried outside on the luggage rack rather than sitting on the back seat...

Make sure it is well strapped-on! I did the Measham in my Austin Twelve with copious supplies of fuel and water strapped on to the luggage rack, only to loose them on a particularly substantial undulation (we were off course at the time!); a five gallon water container and three 2-gallon petrol cans took some effort to store inside the car which was already full with its four man crew!
I  have done several Meashams, both as navigator and as driver.    At one time, if you were in a post vintage A7, as I was, you were in the 'fast' class which meant averaging 30mph in places, which was a tall order.  I believe that things are a bit more sensible now and any A7 will be set the lower average speeds.
If you are a newcomer, don't worry too much about your timing.   Just drive at a steady speed in your A7 and you will not be far off.   If you are catching up other cars and passing them, you are probably going too fast, and vice versa.
When I did the Measham in my Ulsteroid, I had about seven layers on and it was still cold.  In the saloon I went prepared but did most of it in my shirt sleeves, it is so much more comfortable.
One small point, if you are in a saloon, make sure that you have a blind on the rear window or you will not be able to see a thing when a car comes up behind you.
Navigation is straightforward grid references.  Accuracy of plotting and following the route are the important things, and of course you need to finish!
Good luck.
In the 1960s I navigated for the late Dr David Dew-Hughes in his Chummy with a belt-drive speedo on the Eastern Rally, where navigation techniques were very similar to the Measham which I have done since.The first time I put some faith in the mileages shown on the odometer (inaccurate as it turned out) and we got a third class award. The following year with the belt broken, so no indication of speed or distance, I was telling David to slow down quite frequently, and my inspired guesswork got us a first class award, being very close to the required average speed. I still think that gut feel may be more use than accurate instruments.
Robert Leigh
We could start a new thread on Measham Rally experiences and incidents.   My favourite is the navigator (a regular Forum contributor), who directed his driver in the A7 Nippy into the Cotswold Lake Park and ended up on a timber jetty so narrow that they couldn't even get out of the car.  This may have been the same Measham when the navigator put his time card clipboard down the side of his seat, not realising that it dropped onto the road through the gap at the bottom of the door.   Happy days!
(18-12-2019, 12:36 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: We could start a new thread on Measham Rally experiences and incidents.   My favourite is the navigator (a regular Forum contributor), who directed his driver in the A7 Nippy into the Cotswold Lake Park and ended up on a timber jetty so narrow that they couldn't even get out of the car.  This may have been the same Measham when the navigator put his time card clipboard down the side of his seat, not realising that it dropped onto the road through the gap at the bottom of the door.   Happy days!

You musn't race to any conclusions if I say I can definitely confirm it was the same Measham when both these things happened. Blush

Steve

PS: Anyway, it wasn't the Cotswold Lake Park, it was the Cotswold Water Park. We have friends who all these years later still burst out laughing when the drive past the place!
You are of course correct, Steve, it was the Cotswold Water Park.   I think that was the same Measham that started in Swindon and had a Time Control at a car park on the top of a hill on the Ridgeway.  As the marshals awaited the first car just after midnight it became apparent that it was the 'dogging' epicentre of the Chilterns!
The Measham is a 'must'.  The sense of achievement when you finish is immense.  The results don't matter a damn.
Same start venue but different year, Malc. We marshalled on the one with the car park. As well as doggers in cars, at one point an entire coach load turned up!! Huh

Steve