The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7
Hi Mike,

It sounds as if the battery / starter cable may have been replaced at some time with a thinner 12v cable that can be bought from any motor factors / Halfords etc - hence the slow turn over / slow to start. 6v cars require a much thicker cable. I’ve posted the following before on the forum regarding 6v battery / starter cable specification and suppliers of the correct size cable and terminals. As this is a copy of an old post, the prices may have increased since it was last posted.

Re having the correct size of battery / starter cables for 6v – the links below take you to suppliers of the correct specification battery / starter cable to buy for a 6v system.

Battery / Starter Cable – 315/0.40, 40mm², 13mm OD, 300A

AES stock it in cotton braid black or red – their Ref. No. 020203 @ £8.97p per metre:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/p…#flash-msg

The Green Spark Plug Company stock it in PVC black or red – their Ref. No. 0-982-10 @ £11.81p per metre:

http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-meter-durit…82-10.html

Battery Clamps, Terminals & Covers:

http://www.gsparkplug.com/battery/batter…covers?p=1

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/32

If it's not because of a low battery charge level or the thickness of battery / starter cable that's at fault then perhaps the starter motor commutator / carbon brushes require cleaning / attention.

As Simon has already said, just keep asking questions on the forum, there's a mine of information to be had here. The car looks to be in excellent condition, a very nice car - enjoy it.

Jeff.
It was changing to thicker cables that improved mine.

Quite surprising difference to the speed it turns over.

Not easy to work with, but worth it.
I drove a Big Seven for many years, no need to change to 12 volt, leave well alone!
J
Get a 15 quid smart charger from Lidl and the battery will get back to as new in a few days of conditioning... ideally leave it on all the time in the garage if that is an option.
The use of a smart charger could well increase the life of the cars battery by a couple of years. I have used one for several years.
If you do 6v right it's as good as 12v!!
So why did they go to 12v then?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Bought the big 7 because I like old vehicles, my previous car was a Wolseley Wasp that I owned for 33yrs. Missed it so much thought I would go for an Austin as before the Wasp I had a 10 Litchfield and was a member of NECPWA.Mike
The industry changed to 12 volt as more electrical items were added, and lights got brighter etc. For the same (increased) wattage a 12 volt system uses less amps, so thinner cables. And as compression ratios increased starter motors needed more power. Power is watts, amps x volts. So 12 volts does the business with powerful headlights, heater blower, more lights etc.

When heated rear screens came along the dynamo couldn't cope so alternators became normal.
Hi, used to visit Knaresborough regularly, especially in my mid to late teens when I was an avid pedal cyclist. We used to cycle from Castleford to Knaresborough straight down the then Great North Road, now the old A1, turning off the Ai when it ran through Wetherby. They were great times we were so very fit. Mike p.s. have you kept your Ruby 6 volts
(18-12-2019, 12:02 AM)Hobbo Wrote: Hi, used to visit Knaresborough regularly, especially in my mid to late teens when I was an avid pedal cyclist. We used to cycle from Castleford to Knaresborough straight down the then Great North Road, now the old A1, turning off the Ai when it ran through Wetherby. They were great times we were so very fit. Mike p.s. have you kept your Ruby 6 volts

I remember cycling from Knaresborough, down the A1 to Bramham and back in 1969. Nowadays I cycle but keep off the A1.

No the Ruby is 12 volts.