Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flywheel Wanted
Hi, I'm Looking for a sensibly priced flywheel to suit 1930 engine (rear facing starter) 1 5/16" crankshaft. 
Many Thanks.
(13-12-2019, 09:59 PM)Davemayle Wrote: Hi, I'm Looking for a sensibly priced flywheel to suit 1930 engine (rear facing starter) 1 5/16" crankshaft. 
Many Thanks.

You can, of course, use a later one (pre lined driven plate) and bolt the earlier cover with ring gear straight on. 
You'll end up with twin ring gears unless you machine the redundant set off but it'll work. There are, of course, many more later ones around.

Charles
Many thanks Charles. I did offer up a later one and thought it may be an option so reassuring to know it can be done. Not enough swing on my lathe for turning off the gear so may leave as is for now. 

Thanks
Dave
There are a couple of other things to do after you remove the ring gear but the modification is quite possible - happy to help if you go down that route in the future.
Yes please for the help Ruairidh, I'm going to take one over to a friend tonight to remove teeth.

Dave
You,

can modify a later flywheel to fit but it is more complex than just removing the teeth. The later ones are deeper than the early ones so need to be machined down.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Many thanks to all for the above suggestions and to Ruairidh for a quick 'how to' guide on the phone.

Dave