The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity
I fully agree with bystander. It would appear Beaulieu are acting like a lot of the local councils in as much they keep charging higher and higher business rates to high street shops then can’t understand why they are all closing. Leaving the council with less and less revenue.
At least we can keep trading with people like Tony and others like him by telephone and mail order.

Just my view on things.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
i totally agree with both above.

although as suggested the shows are there so you can see the quality or lack of before you buy.

otherwise if its all done on the phone, many people who just order on a cheapest price offered bassis. may feel what they receive is the same standard supplied by all.

for instance, and please dont take this as putting any trader down. its just samples of what happens.

at a show, a customer showed me an aluminium sump he had bought "new and very cheap" it didnt look of any quality, poorly machined, and one locating hole came through a 45% angle of the casting.

he apolagised for not buying one of my nice expensive ones, as he was happy to play with? and alter? tidy? the lesser part. 

the point of all this is, by buying at a show he could see the quality V price that was on offer with different traders. and make his own decision of what was right for him.

on ebay at the moment are alot of the poor quality castings that can be bought very cheaply, the have a go public. are not passing on any infomation of the quality or lack of quality in the parts. just taking the large amounts of money people are paying. i take it the buyers will feel the lack of quality is whats on offer anywere they go in the seven world?

thats why we need good autojumbles, and people need to get out of there comfortable settees now and again.

tony
(15-12-2019, 08:50 PM)John Mason Wrote: I fully agree with bystander.  It would appear Beaulieu are acting like a lot of the local councils in as much they keep charging higher and higher business rates to high street shops then can’t understand why they are all closing. Leaving the council with less and less revenue.
John Mason

Local councils do not set business rates, they just collect them. Also, empty shops do not result in less revenue. Business rates are still to be paid when the shop is empty, unless it's a listed building.
Andrew thank you for the imput I stand corrected

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
We took the Craftmaster Paints stand to Beaulieu this year and whilst we have an excellent time at the show we were very disappointed with the footfall and Sunday we weren't really sure why we bothered.

We actually packed most of the stand away Saturday night before heading out for tea so that we could carry the rest out Sunday if as we suspected it would be dead.

Having attended as a visitor the previous year I was a bit confused by how quiet it was, but then we were not selling autojumble and people can buy from us whenever they choose.

As a punter I find some of the prices eye watering and the comment earlier about the good stuff not coming out as jumblers can't get the prices for it makes me laugh - perhaps its not worth top dollar?

I have often mused about certain Enamel sign sellers that the stock never seems to change yet they appear every year!
hi adam,

my coment on people not expecting to pay higher prices at other events. may be a bit misleading to you.

its more like, take a bacon slicer starter motor. thats probably expected to sell for £150 in good condition. "anywere"

this item will sell at beaulieu at that price.

were as all you get at places like stoneleigh is people sucking tongues at that price. and NO buyer.

so i wasnt suggesting that things sell at "overpriced prices" at beaulieu, i ment expensive as in £150 is a lot of money to most.

were as things that are expected to sell for £20 or less, can be acheived at stoneleigh. and malvern, and newark etc.

as for the signage, although it looks like nothing sells. its the most boyant part of the market place. thats why over recent years it now looks like there is more signage at beaulieu than car parts.

sundays have always been quieter, but since the trunk traders. many stall holders are feeling its no longer worth stopping for sunday.

this year, i found a simular thing on friday with the signage. serious buyers had already spent out on the NEW thursday set up day.

it feels like the standard friday to sunday sellers are being chopped at both ends?

it may now make more sense to set up thursday, and come home saterday evening. (may even get a bonus of no queues to get out of beaulieu?).

tony.