The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workshop Insulation
Forty years ago I built a large brick and concrete-block garage, asbestos cement corrugated roof, with just one large clear panel in the middle. the clear panel is great for providing light, but it rained off that one panel. A dehumidifier soon stopped that rain, and has continued to keep the place dry ever since.

As I get older i find it difficult to drag myself out there in winter, but once busy the cold isn't a problem.
Insulated, quilted overalls folks. Essential.
Even on a really cold day I don't notice it

Charles
(14-12-2019, 04:51 PM)CharlesĀ P Wrote: Insulated, quilted overalls folks. Essential.
Even on a really cold day I don't notice it

Charles

Must try some. Today, two sweat shirts, two pairs of trousers and a pair of overalls. Bailed out and back into the warm after 45 minutes!

Must be getting old Sad

Steve
Above all I recommend thermal insoles for your work boots / shoes.

Also, whatever time of year, a high density foam camping mat any time you need to lie on the floor.
First step completed today: guttering and downpipes fitted. Now just need to wait for a dry spell so that I can paint it with waterproofing.

Jamie.
Jamie
What I did with mine (erected November 2018) was give a coat of waterbased to protect it over the winter as the wood was still damp and then gave it 2 coats of spirit based in the spring, it seems to work alright as its still natural wood colour.
Nigel - exactly what I'd recommend in the circumstances.
(15-12-2019, 05:33 PM)NigelĀ Ricardo Wrote: Jamie
What I did with mine (erected November 2018) was give a coat of waterbased to protect it over the winter as the wood was still damp and then gave it 2 coats of spirit based in the spring, it seems to work alright as its still natural wood colour.

That is helpful. Thank you for the suggestion. I had not realised that you could put a spirit based oil over a water based one. I had thought that they were incompatible for some reason. Do either of you recommend any particular products?

Regards,

Jamie.
Jamie, we usually use Cuprinol or Ronseal products. Spirit-based preservative will take perfectly happily on well-dried timber that's previously been treated with a water-based products, but you may have problems the other way round.

You'll almost certainly have to go to a proper builders' merchant for spirit-based preservative. DIY stores only sell nasty water-based stuff!
Toolstation 68513