The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
standoff spacers for bolting later crankcase?
Has anyone found anything off the (ebay) shelf which directly allows later crankcase to be positively located on the chassis with no rubber? It seems to be 16mm-ish OD about 20mm long. If aluminium then easy for me to drill out further as long as its got a central hole already.
I gather most search for a way of including rubber. The later engines are reputedly somewhat less harsh. Caution if a low chassis crankcase in high chassis.
Bolting down a crankcase can result in this (see photo) I usually rubber mount any early crankcases to avoid damage like this.  Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks, but as post, late crankcase and 4 speed in a short chassis!
Want it low as possible. Rubber standoff for enclosing the bolt, or just don't worry and use the full rubber mounting kit irrespective?
Until last week, my short wheelbase Ulster was fitted with a later, rubber foot, engine. It used the standard rubber foot kit without any issues.

Steve
Mine too, since early 1980's. Rubber mounts and three somewhat loose bolts. No problem.
ok, I'll take the easy route and I can see that the difference in height is going to be negligible?
I can see that isolating any harshness at all is worthwhile.
Rubber mounts were fitted to engines for high and low frame chassis, but the engine mountings are set lower on engines intended for low-frame chassis. I think that Jon's problem is that he has a low frame crankcase in a high frame chassis and it's already sitting considerably higher than it should. The rubber mounts will make this worse, but even without them, the line of the drivetrain is likely to cause other problems.
The wrong crankcase can cause a problem where extension passes through radiator cowl, and the universal operates through an angle. Neverthelss I unknowingly ran the setup in an RP for years and I gather one of the regulars on here has the same set up
Guilty as charged, Bob, although to be fair it was installed like that before I acquired the car (so it's been working fine for the past 35 years at least). Low frame 2brg case (M238100) in high frame chassis, 4 sp crash box. Hardy spicer propshaft. Standard rubber mounts. No problems with the nosepiece. Some "easing" of the bulkhead has taken place to facilitate engine/gearbox removal, but otherwise fine. The later, low frame cases can be identified by the extra moulding on the starter cover:

[Image: IMG-20180604-WA0005.jpg]

which is absent on the earlier ones:

[Image: 20190322-143458.jpg]