The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
piston rings needed
Sadly Paul the Bradford Piston & Piston Ring Company Ltd appears to have been dissolved on 7th December 2019 - they'd been founded in 1935.
The problem here is that Specialloid pistons used metric width rings. The vast majority of other brands both back in the day and of current manufacture use imperial width, which are consequently much easier to source.
It might well be easier and cheaper in the long run to change the pistons complete rather than trying to locate and pay a premium for metric width rings. An even more economical solution might be to get hold of a good used set of 040 pistons with imperial grooves (Hepolite for instance), of which there are probably plenty about  to be had quite cheaply, and if necessary fit them with new rings which are relatively easy to obtain. If going down that route just make sure they are the 4 ring split skirt type, not the long obsolete 3 ring variety.
Why not buy a set of modern slipper pistons, they will be superior to an old set of specialloid pistons which are from the 1950's
I'm with dickie 65 on this, get a nice set of 57 mm sports Pistons from Tony, get your .040" bores honed to 57 mm only about .004" to come out so cheaper than a rebore, job done.
Thanks for the heads up about Cox and Turner. my new rings arrived today.
That's good, as a matter of interest how much were they
£125 plus Vat and delivery to Ireland. Delivery was £14 and total Vat was £27.80 grand total £166.80. very happy to get them.
Thanks eddiefarrel, will help with future decision making re rings or Pistons.
Some information for the file to save others contacting... FW Thornton quoted £150 plus carriage and vat for a FULL set only of Austin 7 piston rings (I contacted them from one of these threads) - they couldn't supply just compression rings alone.
I only contacted them as I presumed none of the Seven suppliers sell individual rings.
I have always been able to buy single rings from out A7 suppliers, provided they have them in stock.