The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
piston rings needed
I started work on one of the two stripped engines that came with my totally dismantled project. Both engines are very badly corroded, one is seized on both the crank and piston seized in block with bent con rod. The other engine looks salvageable. The block cleaned up nicely and i tried the rings in the bores and have 0.050 ring gap, a little too much i feel. The pistons are specialloid +0.040 Does anyone know if i can get +0.040 rings to suit those Specialloid pistons and where would i get them if possible?. These rings look thicker on these pistons than the other piston rings on the other engine.
You could get them made Eddie, there are certainly companies here who will do a set if you cant find anyone in Ireland. Bonds in Christchurch may even have them on the shelf.
Black Art Enthusiast
Eddie, I have bought piston rings from Phillip Daintree tel.01617664487. I understand he has retired now but he has the contact details of alternative supplier of rings.
I, too, have bought rings from Phillip Daintree in the past including rings for Specialloid pistons.

Steve
I've similarly bought parts from Phil Daintree, but that was many years ago. There's some information here regarding specialloid pistons / rings used in Vincent / HRD motorcycles - a piston ring manufacturing company in New Zealand and a suggestion in the Coventry VOC Parts List that Wellworthy piston rings may fit these motorcycle pistons - worth looking into as regards your Ruby pistons.

https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/thre...loid.2760/

http://coventryvoc.co.uk/parts_list_draw...list_e.htm
Franklin Engineering here in NZ have made excellent one off sets of rings for me in the past, the cost has been very reasonable as well.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies , i will try and get in touch with Phillip Daintree tomorrow and start from there. if no joy i will try the other suggestions. Thanks again for taking the time to help out.
Cox & Turner in Somerset I’m sure will be able to help - they managed to sort rings for both my Delage and Rover recently.
I sent of a letter to Philip Daintree and unfortunately i get the feeling he may not be too well. Ruth Daintree e-mailed me to say he had woken up and she asked him about rings for Specialloid pistons and he said someone called "Boss" in Middlesex. I cannot find anything on the internet in relation to "Boss". Does anyone know what this could be?

Tony Betts does not stock these and i have just mailed off to Cox and Turner, so i wont panic until i receive a reply from them.

Thanks again for all of the help so far.
Ed.
The Bradford Piston Ring Co. have made up rings for me in the past at reasonable cost.

Paul N-M