The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no Austin Sevens in TV Restoration Shows?
I agree Tony. I'm impressed by the work of Fuzz Towshend, but his co-presenter makes me cringe & I can't watch him.
Jim
I originally asked because I would enjoy seeing a Seven going through the process...
hi ian,

fuzz knows austin sevens very very well.

he used to run one of the monthly car mags. and restored a box saloon and a ruby. and came to me for the parts for them.

also the cheap little special they done, i supplied the body amongst other parts.

i delivered them to there workshop, fuzz didnt seem to have much knowledge of the mechanical stuff though?

but there were plenty of other mechanics that did.

tony
I have enjoyed watching Project Binky by Bad Obsession Motorsport, it is a real build by guys who design and fabricate everything they do, no simple bolt on bling. Its a long project and much is shown in real time but well worth watching from the beginning if you can be bothered.
Black Art Enthusiast
I asked a question of Ant Anstead (Wheeler Dealers) at a Practical Classics 'ask the experts' session at their Practical Classic restoration Show at NEC. Ant started out with A7s and would appear versed.
He and his co presenter, Mike Brewer asked, half joking, if I was willing to sell as they wanted to feature an A7 in the programme. So who knows...
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I seem to remember Fuzz breaking an aluminium casting while attempting to adjust something on a big Austin engine.
Some of these disasters like Fuzz breaking the 12/4 housing are staged for TV, it is then a big drama to repair the "irreplaceable part" which we know is actually reasonably plentiful but it makes good TV, similarly stitching the 12/4 head was also TV drama when a replacement head would have been cheaper and easier. The same as Fuzz's off sider being a complete twat, again he is simply playing the part required by the program makers. As with all these shows they are light entertainment but they have some occasional good points as well, even the most cynical of us will have to admit some of the stories are rather heart warming.
Black Art Enthusiast
ian i agree with you on the off sider,

but cant beleive you got the "T" word past the forum Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

made me smile,

tony
The programmes have been an eye opener re degree of rust in UK vehicles. Decades ago here the Trade, to avoid arguments arisng from unexperienced inspectors, succeeded in acheiving the con of effectively no rust. Sold to the public on the basis that was overseas practice.
I watched the 12/4 presentation with some amusement. Had not heard of metal stiching for decades, when it was very popular to keep our old over priced cars on the road. I was surpised how quickly the very tedious job was completed. It was an unstressed part and I reckon an experienced person could have successfully filled with solder (as had been crudely attempted before). Also appeared suited to brazing.
Most persons doing as they do with much out sourced, would spend more time on the phone than they do on full restoration.
At least they do not destroy cars as Clarkson did. For me partly cancelled the wry non PC Pom humour, now confined to history.
Does old age alone qualify for the programme?
The amount of rust (and fresh air) my Ruby had when it first arrived needed to be seen to be believed.  But at least the car was still in one piece and repairable.  Many '50s - '70s cars would have been reduced to a heap of fresh air by 20 years in a UK garden.

Qualification for the SOS programme tends to be related to helping someone with a serious health problem rather than the owner's age.