The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Autin Seven Book (Nicholson)
This charming little book came with my '33 AP Tourer.  First edition in 1929 and revised and reprinted up to this copy of 1945 vintage.  It is a nice read, in the "Mr Chumley-Warner" style and for me as an A7 newbie, pitched at the right level!  I was interested to read, however (following advice on this forum about tweaking the cut out) that Mr Lucas' cut out box should never be opened!  I guess I should read such literature with caution?!

Attached Files
.jpeg   image.jpeg (Size: 127.42 KB / Downloads: 284)
The good Mr Nicholson also advises "Do Not Dicker" when referring to some assemblies. Sound advice in the days when some people mended Sevens with a lump hammer and cold chisel !
It is a charming period read but little else.  Although many seem to have hand in, I am not sure that MA is the ideal qualification for a technical writer. The book covers many models and it is not always clear what applies to which. Advice such as quantity and frequency of grease in hubs, frequency of oiling later clutch bearing etc  is absurdly excessive.

I do not know of any single simple objective publication which covers basic maintenace in todays world and free of pet theories and whims. A few years ago someoene advised of some club publication in UK but unfortuantely i did not follow up.
I have to disagree with Bob.  For someone who already knows it all, Yes.  But for a new owner of a Seven, I believe it's veyr valueable.  It certainly helped me at a time when there was that and nothing else except the Pitmans.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
I only found Nicholson recently- started with Pitmans and the Special Builders Guide - that blue paper covered booklet much later replaced by The Companion.

Still all in the library along with Woodrow