The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batteries
We ran our Ruby with 2 batteries in parallel many years ago. It solved the problem you are describing Steve but for some reason the batteries had a much reduced life and eventually we reverted to the conventional set up.

Peter.
Thanks to all for thoughts and experiences related.

The LED installation works very well, mine from the person recommended by Duncan and also recommended by myself as very good to deal with, knowing about Sevens. The Ruby has done night driving and the VSCC Oulton Park night nav, but the Measham is through a very long night and most of the journey up the A49 to the start will be in darkness which is why I wanted extra capacity. I'm not sure that the scrutes would be happy with a small generator strapped to the luggage rack.

I discovered switches that allow choice of one, or other or both batteries from seeing one aboard a friend's boat, where the jolly bargee wants to be able to keep just one battery in use for the automatic bilge pump. These are to be found at a chandlers rather than in the Demon Tweeks catalogue. On the basis of the forum one battery at a time seems to be what to do.

Whilst for the non-competing Seven an alternator might be helpful, one discovered by a scrute would lead to the formal pronouncement of an anathema, and possible exile to Siberia. Eligibility for nav rallies and similar events requires being pre-war and turning up. Sometimes those of us who cannot satisfy the VSCC's somewhat arcane requirements of being "PVT" are sent into lower classes where we belong, but generally most welcome, and specially for Inter-Reg events. 

Now does anyone know of a source of the  strap to keep the battery safely tight, or were they such a small and unexciting  item that no used straps were ever put on dusty shelves in sheds?
I don't know what the original strap looks like but I find that large rubber bands in varied widths cut from old inner tubes are incredibly useful in almost every application!
Having read the rules of the VSCC I think I'd be shot at dawn as I seem to have broken most of their rules in an effort to make my beloved 1931 RN more user friendly. I've ditched the diecast Zenith carb which was crumbling away with the slightly earlier bronze one - problem solved, that together with my alternator and dizzy would make me an outcast! As I don't intend to enter the Measham, which looks a great event, but just enjoy driving around beautiful North Wales and doing the occasional show the little mods make it oh so much better and easier. I truly admire those who keep their cars exactly as post Longbridge and put up with the little quirks that raises but each to his own.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Now now Duncan, should we be reading ohh matron contributions on a Sunday morning! 

Barry, your bronze carb sounds most desirable. If you don't fancy competing then please put 25 April in your diary to help marshall or volunteer on Rali Eyri. This will cover quite a lot of Snowdonia, exactly which bits us competitors won't know until that morning. I think it starts from Bettws y Coed but my navigator will no doubt tell me in due course.
Don't worry Barry, as I no longer compete in VSCC events my chummy is far from original though I do try not to modernise it to the point where it loses the spirit of 1920 motoring. As you say, each to his own. I have always made it in my way to caution A7 owners anticipating technological leaps, that what they are doing will bar them in the future from competing in VSCC events - should they ever decide that they would like to do so. However, after reading the 2020 Measham entry regs., I will probably be more guarded with my advice!
   It could certainly be a very different Measham Rally this year, apparently letting in Aston martins upto early DB5s, Sprites, Midgets, VW beetles to mention only a few that would have been laughed out of any attempt to enter back when I was competing.
Hi Steve
The bronze carb took a lot of searching for, once found it was a simple matter of a clean up and transferring the innards over from the diecast -that and the addition of an inline fuel filter meant no more cleaning the jets out during a journey ! As I said in my post I just want to enjoy going out for a little drive when the mood (and the weather) takes me.
I will take a serious look at the rally and help out if I can, I already marshall at several racing circuits
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !