The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batteries
VSCC has sent out regs for the Measham, so time to seriously begin to prepare for a long, cold and probably wet  night of fun. Last time I was involved with this nocturnal winter madness it was in a Chummy, and a spare battery sat on the floor behind the front seats to be swapped over at the midnight stop. This time will be in the Ruby. Night time driving now greatly improved by LED cards but I think additional battery capacity remains a good idea, and can be done safely with a second battery secured in the battery box on the scuttle. Discussions with owners of other marques has arrived at no agreement, so the question to the motoring world's greatest reservoir of knowledge is; does the forum recommend  both batteries wired in parallel, or separately wired and install a two way switch to change from one to the other?
You would need a pretty hefty switch. If you have a battery isolator, you could connect the unswitched pole of the battery to the spare battery. If and when you think the first battery has had it, stop the engine, isolate the 1st battery by the isolator switch and run a jump lead from the spare, to the other side of the isolator switch.
I'd avoid the parallel wiring in case of a fault elsewhere which might lead to both batteries failing.

If you're concerned about the time lost switching from one to the other perhaps fit wing nuts to your terminals for a speedy change...
Hi Steve, You mention LED lights, if you have LED headlights I think you can safely forget about a second battery. I have a '29 chummy with a C35M dynamo powering - all on original 6 volt system - all lights LED except indicators, SU electric fuel pump and with all lights on driving at normal speeds I have 3 or 4 amps of charge. I have done the Measham -not in this car -  several times with the usual variety of electrical dramas but, were I to attempt it again in the chummy, I believe I could accomplish it without an electrical problem. So, not answering your question, I am saying get LED headlights. If you insist on the 2 battery idea, I would install as two separate batteries but with a speedy manual change over arrangement as Duncan suggests.
A master switch on each battery with the switched side of the switches connected together would result in a choice of no batteries, 1 battery (either one) or 2 parallel batteries connected depending on the position of the switches. It could even be switched with the engine running provided there was always one battery connected. This would work with the switch on the earth or live side.
I continually had the same problem and solved it by installing a Dynamator alternator 6volt . It outwardly copies the original dynamo and I'm using the original high consumption bulbs. A purist might not like the mod but you'd really have to know your stuff to spot it. I coupled it with their electronic ignition distributor, yet again an exact visual copy of the original. The original single 6volt battery is all that is needed
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
By following Barry's example you would automatically disqualify your car from taking part in any VSCC competitions. Strictly "no alternators allowed" see the eligibility rules Blush
Incidentally, are you sure that they will let you enter a Ruby anyway, I had a vague memory that "Jewel Cars" were excluded???
see here, non vintage A7s BEFORE the 1934 Ruby acceptable.

https://www.vscc.co.uk/uploads/files/1944.pdf

https://www.vscc.co.uk/uploads/files/24344.pdf para.47

I would recommend you speak with someone on the A7 eligibility committee before taking expensive action for the Measham.

Following "Stumpi's" comment below I checked and he is correct. This year it would appear that the VSCC has thrown its own eligibility criteria out of the window, at least for the Measham.see quote:
" The plotting will be "Plot and Bash" ie all grid references this year.
This year we are taking entries from historic cars up to those built before 1962."
No doubt because of falling entries for the Traditional classes they cut off now just before MG Bs!!!!!
The VSCC is no longer the VSCC.

For me, that makes a total mockery of the several pages of "A7 eligibility" which specify what carburettor, what back axle ratio is permissible for which models and which spark plugs are allowed.

Thanks Andy for the "heads up". and my apologies to anyone that I unwittingly misled.
If you look at the Regulations for the Measham there is a suitable class to enter.
Andy
The suggestion of changing to LED lights sounds a great idea and a perfect solution to lack of dynamo output. I'd like to change my Chummy's two headlamp bulbs to LED.
Where can they be bought and what changes to the bulb holders will be required - or do they simply fit in the original bayonet holders?
Other suppliers are out there, I've bought lamps from these guys and they are good. They offer a well informed and helpful service.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/about-me.php