The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Box Saloon GK5350
Hi, does anyone recognise GK5350 1932 Box Saloon.
I am told someone in Wales started to restore it, then sadly passed away.
It is not on the DVLA website, they have requested evidence that ties the registration number to the car, unfortunately I do not have the buff logbook.
Any help greatly appreciated
Top priority now needs to be seeking assistance from the DVLA liaison officer at whichever one of the Austin 7 clubs you belong to. This became abundantly and inescapably clear to me when dealing with the DVLA under similar circumstances earlier this year.
Are you sure of the registration date? GK 5350 should be 1930 and might just fall within one of the surviving ledgers.
Thanks Ian and Henry.
I have not done this before, unfortunately I do not have anything that ties the reg to the car apart from the number plate which has clearly been on the car a long time.
It is LWB car, Chassis155...
Ian, did you manage to keep the original plate without anything to tie the plate to the car?
(06-12-2019, 08:43 AM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Ian, did you manage to keep the original plate without anything to tie the plate to the car?

No, it was a different situation for me. I had wanted to replace the age-related number that had been on my car for 35 years with a proper period number that I had on a retention certificate. However, the process involved uncovered the fact that the chassis number on my V5C didn't match the actual car, something I had been blissfully unaware of during more than 30 years of ownership. I had to engage the club's DVLA liaison officer when the DVLA inexplicably decided that mine was a kit car and wanted to allocate a Q-plate! It seems that the DVLA require intervention of the relevant one-make club in order to authenticate the information you provide.

I'm afraid that if you have nothing concrete to associate the registration number with the car, your chances of success are fairly slim whatever you do. The DVLA will allocate an age-related number to your car and the relevant club will need to authenticate your car in order to avoid the dreaded Q-plate scenario. In other words, please engage with the DVLA through the club and not directly, for the best possible outcome.
It's worth contacting the local county archives for wherever the car was registered (where does GK relate to), or where it has lived since. I managed to get a record from cambridgeshire from the 60s for mine which shows the registration and chassis number.
Unfortunately GK is a London registration and all records relating to London have been destroyed.
(06-12-2019, 12:21 AM)Henry Harris Wrote: Are you sure of the registration date? GK 5350 should be 1930 and might just fall within one of the surviving ledgers.

but surely even if this were the case, it wouldn't give the appropriate link to any registration plate? Or have you seen some that are specified?
The ledgers are a good starting point to build a case for the recovery of a vehicle identity if the vehicle is within their limits. 
There are no registration details, but there are in most cases quite good build details.
GK5350 was a London number issued in 1930 and may be covered by the ledgers.
However the car in question is long wheel base with chassis 155.....  which is  B5 series, mid 1932. 
Not covered by the surviving ledgers.
Some sort of original documentation will be needed to show that GK belongs to chassis 155......
Thanks to all who have responded so far.
Yes the car was London registered and sadly no records exist.
The build records do not give a registration number, and as pointed out the records do not cover post 1931.
Am I correct in thinking I need the buff logbook, or a pre 1983 document to prove the reg belongs to the car?
Looks like an age related coming up.
What do they do with the numbers they become aware that are not on the system and not reallocated?