The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darn it! I should have scraped the paint off the wheel-nut seating
When my wheel came off it accelerated forward and ended up in the cemetery leaning against a tomb stone. It was then I realised things were deadly serious.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Dunno but I once got a time crossing the line backwards at Harewood.
Alan Fairless
I think the handbook advises checking wheel nuts regularly. Every 250 miles springs to mind.
Jim
I believe the Worcestershire potholes did for my wheel studs. After that event I replaced all of them. The surviving ones did not look as though as they were ready to let go. So I assume no overtightening of the nuts on the other three wheels. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
Dave and Tony.

That  was in 1967,  with the Sheffield contingent of 4 or 5 cars driving in convoy to the PWA7C Autokarna rally.  On the old A61 (now part of A38 I believe), near Denby, my Tourer gracefully dipped at the front as the detached wheel sped ahead, coming to rest after hitting a high stone wall.
In the photo is, I think, Tony doing the dirty work whilst I sheepishly look on.  To replace the wheel it looks like we manhandled the front end on to a wobbly pile of stones. 
My car appears to be in semi-matt grey, in actual fact it was completely stripped of paint ready for a respray.   Later that same day Tony and I drove in convoy to Kent  where a mate would do the paint job, and I think we then drove back to Sheffield the same night in Tony's chummy.  There was no damage done, in fact the brake drum with the ground flat corner is still in use on the same hub.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ppl That’s an impressive memory Mike! I’m in France at the moment, having battled down the M1, M25 and M2. Amazing that we made a similar journey - and return - on main roads all in one day. Ah, but we were younger then...