The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap rev counter
Hi All

eBay has a (large) number of cheap rev counters on sale from suppliers in India. I think they are made as replacements for the huge classic bike market in India. I think they are still making Enfields!

For example item number 192886058849.  This seems period looking and is 2:1 suitable to drive off the A7 distributor gear.

Does anyone have any experience with these cheap imports and is it difficult to source the right cable for them?

I realise that I will need to fabricate a drive off the bottom of the distributor and I’ve seen a thread on that subject.

Cheers

Howard
Speedograph-Richfield can do you a cable and probably a gearbox as well should you need it (other companies are available!). I looked at the Enfield speedo they also make for my current project but haven't taken the plunge yet...
I'm using a speedo on a 2 seater special
And had no trouble in 4 years cable
Should be no problem as they are standard
British fittings?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Small machine shops in India make some wonderful items for vintage motorcycles - including the previously almost impossible-to-find Best & Lloyd hand-operated oil pumps. Unfortunately, they often copy something that's not complete - in the case of the pump I asked if the little non-return valve in the base (an essential leather-flap and spring assembly) was included. The maker had no idea that one should be there - so I sent him the sample parts in the hope that he'd be able to make those as well. Never heard back ...
One recurring problem I hear repeated is that although the machining and assembly can be spot on, the metals used are not always appropriate.
The finishing is also variable!
I have also found with bits produced in India that machining tolerances are not always precise so that parts intended as replacement don't fit as well as the originals. Forgings can use materials which are not up to standard, and the size can vary, possibly because they have used an original part to make a new mold, but fail to properly account for shrinkage. Still, I don't doubt there are some producers who have gotten it right.

Erich in Seattle
My favourite was a cast brass chromed GB plate which the idiot who bought my first special wanted to fit in place of a light ali one. He claimed it was an original genuine fitment until I pointed out that the B was upside down, the pattern having been made by someone unfamiliar with the Roman alphabet ...