The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT'S BEHIND YOU?
Indeed, Duncan, Well spotted! To the left of the window there are two more - a half-gallon and a gallon. Unfortunately, the gallon measure has lost its handle. it was like that when I bought the set at a garage sale (the sort where a garage is closing down, not the more usual sort.) They do get used!

David.
Rick F - Your guess is correct, the Lists refer to all models of Austin, so rather confusing.   Cheers,  Bill,in Oz
Thanks folks for your erudition. I've seen this arrangement, Duncan, on so called 'classic' sports cars such as MG 'B's so might be able to adapt one (although this would go against the grain as 'non-period'). Bill's handbooks seem to reflect my own. Are those numbers for external or internal types?
Jon.E's 'early saloon' website holds no clues.

My question was originally prompted by the fact that rear views down the road for a reasonable distance behind was severely restricted by the angle of the mirror on a short stalk as the back window was much lower than the body rail
over the screen. This measurement looks much greater on R and RK type saloons than on the post '29 models.

Did suction cup screen mirrors even exist in the 1920's? Maybe traffic was rare -or Sevens were so quick that no-one could catch them up to overtake- so rear view mirrors were not needed.

Ian C
Stoneybroke??
The last time I was some kind of 'Baron' was when (in early days with the Thames Valley A7 club -which was quickly absorbed into the A7OC), bombing around in my open Seven 'the Red Barrel, I was rudely referred to by some rude members as 'von Rektoffen'!
My 1931 RL still has the original interior mirror. I had never seen another, until I found one at Beauleau a while ago.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_1407.jpg interior mirror.jpg (Size: 22.79 KB / Downloads: 98)
And that's the mechanism, John, of the Lucas mirror fitted to our late (July '34) RP when it arrived with us here in 2006 from long time (20 years) incarceration in the Killarney motor museum run by the Lucey family. I know no history of our car except it was owned by John and Vaurneen Gill in Caherciveen prior to us. Another 'C' series RP turned up a few years back down here in West Cork with a chassis number fairly close to ours bought- on E-bay- in from Northern Ireland (ours was registered ID 2393 in Co. Cavan up in the North West) and the new owner repeated a rumour I'd heard before that when Longbridge was about to introduce the first Ruby models they sold cheaply to the midwifery service in the UK part of Ulster a batch of RP's. Any truth in this anyone know?
-
Ian (painfully pedantic) C