The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Speaking of modern oil seals
Since modern lip type oil seals seem to be the upgrade of choice for keeping the oil on the inside of ones engine, I am wondering if there is a way to put a modern lip seal in the camshaft / pulley hole in the front nose extension housing instead of the felt seal ?

Has anybody done a successful installation on this part of the engine?
Thanks.
Stephen
Hi Stephen, My 1935 Ruby has a black rubber type oil seal on the nose cone for the camshaft and it works well. It is not exactly like a modern type lip seal but works in the same way. I unfortunately don’t know what it’s number etc is as it was already fitted when I bought the car some 20 years ago and at that time not knowing much about sevens I thought that’s how they came from the factory. Just to add to the seals description it fits like a large rubber grommet. It may even be a modified grommet that pushes up against the front camshaft bearing.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
The front nose piece has a steel insert where the cam shaft exits the housing. Can this steel insert be safely removed from the housing without damage?  If so I could do this and insert another steel insert machined to hold a lip seal.
Cheers,
Stephen
Stephen, I cannot recall how my rubber seal is fitted (I am now only partially sighted so now cannot see it at all) Will the steel inset in yours push out with a punch or press if you warm up the ally nosepiece first.

John Mason aka Blind Pew
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Have you got an oil thrower fitted? This is one bit of my engine that doesn't leak!
Yes Colin,
I have the oil thrower and all the associated parts but I wanted to see if this felt seal could also be up graded to a lip type.
Cheers, Stephen