The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrap block wanted please
I'm ready to start grinding away all those sharp edges and corners in the ports, but do not want to go overboard.
The scrap block will be sliced and diced to give me some indication of wall thicknesses plus ideas to improve flow.

Geoff - Long johns on as heating boiler too old to repair.
(20-10-2017, 01:59 PM)Geoff Halstead Wrote: I'm ready to start grinding away all those sharp edges and corners in the ports, but do not want to go overboard.
The scrap block will be sliced and diced to give me some indication of wall thicknesses plus ideas to improve flow.

Geoff - Long johns on as heating boiler too old to repair.

Take care with that Geoff.  The scrap block that I have is scrap for precisely that reason!  At some point in the past, someone has managed to remove the valve seats from below.
Hi Geoff,

I have one here if you can collect, don't want to mess with postage.

Anything you practice on though, take as a pinch of salt.

The castings did move around on blocks, so may NOT be able to take the same amount off of them all.

Tony.
Geoff if all you are doing is blending away the sharp edges you are extremely unlikely to encounter any waterways, I would not suggest you do more than that on a standard Ruby anyway.
Black Art Enthusiast
Unless you are doing something really special, the ports are too big already. All you need to do is remove the sharp edges and maybe straighten out the curve on the sides of the inlet ports. Don't worry about going through to the water jacket - you won't unless you've removed way too much metal. What I always do is get the cylinders bored first, because that is where you may get a problem and it's better to find out before you've invested several hours with a rotary file.
Thanks Tony, but you are a bit too far away. I only want one to get an unobstructed view inside the ports to determine what to do.
Will be doing what Ian & Alan suggested plus a few ideas of my own.
Agree Alan, but don't need to rebore as bloxk has +20 liners and pistons fitted and no wear ridges at the top of the bores.
Spent days doing Kent cylinder heads when racing in the '70s, with the all metal drilling machine getting so hot I had to stop and let it cool down.

Geoff - Water still coming in under the Carport door %^#
Thanks to Tony Leslie of Holmesdale Sevens, 20minutes away, who kindly to gave me an early block.
Now busy slicing.

Geoff - B-post and wheel arch repairs going well.
Broke the blade in the bandsaw last week, after getting 2.1/2 slices done, but have a replacement.
Talk about sloooow going, so will have a go using the angle grinder.

Geoff - That C.I. is good quality.