The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back from Tokyo!
Firstly my sincere thanks to all those who made this trip so successful! It was an unbelievable experience for one of limited fettling experience, enormously helped by having the "friends forum in the tool box!
 I am back safely and "Babushka" comes sailing in this week i hope to Southampton. (If anyone is in the area and fancies a trip to welcome her home please let me know. (07704140884) 
Now involved in the  final video and book which I hope will spread the Joy of the Seven even further.
I have to say I have nothing but praise for all the people of Russia including the army, the police and the authorities who were so helpful and supportive. 
The welcome i received in Japan was equally superb but of a different nature, as the classic car contingent could not have been more kind and enthusiastic! I am even an honorary half  member of the Austin Healey club of Japan! and have the badge to prove it!
To sow further seeds in new pastures, and if i can attract funding,I am keen to produce a small set of childrens books which will be in two languages and multi media in style,  linked to the true story. Babushka goes to Moscow, Babushka goes to Tokyo etc.
 I intend to do the  photos and film of Babushka goes to Paris at the end of January 2020 and would appreciate any advice on the "Crit air Vignette" situation for historic vehicles.( Voiture de collection)
Thanks again. For a short time some of the silliness is still on You tube: " celebrate the seven the epic adventure"
Where next? That is the question!
Cheers
Chris Blakey.
Firstly, congratulations on achieving your objective! I admit to having misgivings about it when I learned of your limited A7 experience. Roadside repairs have been part of my experience for 60 years now.
As for Paris have a look at  https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motorin...ch-cities/  It seems to say you are not allowed in. I took a Ruby into Paris in 2002 during a 'day off' from the Berlin trip, and you need eyes in the back of your head round the Arc de Triomphe, where the rule is different from the rest of France: traffic entering the roundabout has priority!
Robert Leigh
The requirement for a vignette "Crit'Air" in the Paris region does not apply to vehicles which have a special "Collection" registration document. This applies primarily to French registered vehicles - the registration document is specially marked with the mention "Voiture de Collection" . Vehicles registered in other European member states may also be exempt if the documentation carries the appropriate marker. I'm not sure how that applies to a UK registered classic.

It might be prudent to consult with either the DVLA or the motoring organisations in the UK before heading to Paris, although I doubt that enforcement of the "Crit'Air" vignette is a huge priority for the Police Nationale - they have more important things on their plate to deal with.
Presumably 'Historic' shown as the tax class on the V5 would assist in demonstrating the 'collection' nature of the vehicle?
As long as the UK is an EU member state?
If the V5 shows the marker "Historic" that should be fine. I don't think that "Brexit" will make any difference. You just need to be able to prove the exemption in case of a check, so carry the document or a copy.

Here is the relevant text (in French of course)

Règles concernant les véhicules de collection

Les règles concernant les véhicules de collection sont fixées localement et non au niveau national. Elles sont donc différentes en fonction des zones à circulation restreinte ou zones de protection de l’air.
Les propriétaires d’un véhicule de collection immatriculé en France peuvent justifier l’appartenance de leur véhicule à cette catégorie par la mention « collection » inscrite sous la lettre « Z » dans le certificat d’immatriculation.
Dans la plupart des certificats d’immatriculation européens, cette mention se trouve dans la catégorie « informations supplémentaires ». C’est dans cette catégorie que sont renseignées les « remarques et exceptions ». Dans tous les cas, la catégorie « véhicule de collection » doit être prouvée en cas de contrôle. Toutefois, la possibilité pour les forces de l’ordre de reconnaitre les dénominations étrangères pour les véhicules de collection pose question.

Véhicules de collection à Paris
A Paris, une dérogation est accordée aux véhicules portant la mention « collection ». Cela signifie que les véhicules de collection ne seront pas sanctionnés s’ils dérogent aux restrictions de circulation en vigueur.
Merci a tous, especiallement Ms Le Rat temeraire!

After your comments I have double checked with the European crit air office in Germany and received a  confirmation email, with which I shall baffle les flics!!
Well done Chris, an epic trip!

Thanks to Google translate
Rules regarding vintage vehicles

The rules regarding vintage vehicles are set locally and not at the national level. They are therefore different depending on the restricted traffic zones or air protection zones.
Owners of a collection vehicle registered in France can justify the belonging of their vehicle to this category by the mention "collection" registered under the letter "Z" in the registration certificate.
In most European registration certificates this is in the category "additional information". It is in this category that "remarks and exceptions" are entered. In any case, the category "collection vehicle" must be proven in case of control. However, the possibility for law enforcement officials to recognize foreign designations for collector vehicles is questionable.

Vintage vehicles in Paris
In Paris, a derogation is granted to vehicles marked "collection". This means that vintage cars will not be penalized if they break the current traffic restrictions.
well done chris.

good to chat last week.

my perchases from the states arrive in southampton early december, around the 5th. let me know what day you will be there.

you never know.

tony.
I'd like to add my congratulations on your adventure Chris - well done! 

On the "clean air" regs the part that troubles me is that they are locally established thus what gives in Paris may well not be the case in the ever-increasing list of other zones.