The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear main felt oil seals
On an early coil engine with a 1 1/8 crank is there a recommended method for installing the rear main felt seal to keep oil loss to a minimum once installed?

Any improvements that can be done to make a felt seal work the best that can be had with this type of seal?

* I know this has been discussed before, but I thought I would ask after a frustrating search in the archives.
Cheers,
Stephen
Steve,

When I used felt seals I used to " Vaseline  " the seal ie. not fit it dry.
However I would use a modern seal these days but remember they are only as good as the surface which is revolving within the seal. If any dings, whatever, the seal will be ineffective resulting in leakage.

Chris
Hi Chris,
I understand exactly what you are saying.  I'm not sure if there is enough room for a proper modern neoprene type seal. Has anyone successfully fitted one to a small crank engine ?
Stephen
I fitted an modern seal to my 1-1/8" crank using a seal plate supplied by A7 components. However I'm not sure whether these are still listed.
A modification is needed to the rear main bearing carrier and a drain hole from the seal into the sump is required. There is not a lot of room but it can be done.
The sealing surface on the flywheel needs a speedi-sleeve to give the required surface finish.
Jim
(24-11-2019, 04:31 PM)Steve Bryant Wrote:  Has anyone successfully fitted one to a small crank engine ?

I covered this one on the old forum:

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...1&cmd=show

Unfortunately the pictures have gone, I assume they were purged when PhotoBucket went mad horribly wrong some years ago.

I seem to remember it wasn't particularly easy.....
Thank you for the reference to the old forum posts.

On looking at the seal and bearing holder I think a modern seal can be used as long as the outside diameter is a tight fit in the bearing holder and the flywheel  has a suitably sized collar designed to provide the sealing surface for the inner lip. I am going to look at what can be obtained for a suitable oil seal and go from there. Will keep you posted on how this works out.
Stephen
David Cochrane was able to supply the seal and the plate that needed modification I think.....
The rear main bearing housing requires machining to accept the aftermarket cover plate with lip seal as sold by our suppliers. As mentioned elsewhere, the lipseal is only really effective when a Speedisleeve is fitted to the flywheel boss. TimReynolds wrote a very detailed description of this on a thread a while ago which may well be on the old forum
An update on my progress.

I designed and machined a new rear plate to hold a neoprene lip seal. A speedy sleeve will be fitted to the flywheel to provide a smooth surface for the seal's lip to run on.
I have to machine a groove for an O-Ring to provide a seal to the bearing holder and then it will be finished.

If others are interested I can document what I have done with pictures and text in a separate post.
Cheers,
Stephen
Yes please!