The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1927 Chummy #7 - Headlamp construction
I need to replace the bulb holder on one of the scuttle headlamps (Lucas R510?) but cannot figure out the way to remove it from the bowl. I suspect it is crimped in but there were two joints A and B which both had solder in them. I have tried removing solder at A but there is not a hint of movement. I don't want to go further without guidance and risk damaging things so if someone could kindly give me an idea of how to proceed, I would be grateful.

.jpg   lamp 1.jpg (Size: 73.01 KB / Downloads: 360)
Stuart Joseph is your man Nick. He knows everything there is to know about Austin lamps. He is a forum contributor so I am sure he will respond before too long
Good evening Nick. You are quite correct in that they were crimped but it looks like you have a 'belt and braces' arrangement with the addition of solder. My question would be why do you want to remove it? When refurbishing these units I leave the bulb holder in place, remove the bulb contacts and replace them with a new single or double bulb contact. I also use a hose clip to lock the bulb contact in place and as the earthing point.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Hi Stuart. Very kind of you to respond. (and Dave)

The reason I am struggling is because I want to fit LED bulbs. One of the lamps is fine - I can set the LED bulb almost horizontal.

But the one in the photo has been b*ggered around with by a previous owner and the sprung contact pins (don't think they are original) will not travel in far enough to allow me to push the bulb right in and fully rotate it to the last 'step'. It means the bulb sits at about 'twenty to two'.

So I was planning to put in a new holder - or releasing the holder sufficient to be able to rotate it in the bowl, and then resolder in the new position.

Would a replacement pin unit perhaps be the answer?
Hello Nick, Please email me your address to stuart.joseph@btinternet.com and I'll send you the parts to try.

Regards

Stuart
Very kind. Thanks. Have sent you PM.
Hello Nick
Please let us know how you get on with your LED conversion.
I have been unable to find a satisfactory solution for these early reflectors. Assumed the shape was wrong.
Many thanks.
Adrian.
Oh I do like this forum. For years I've struggled to find a reliable way to lock a new bulb contact into a bulb holder. Stuart's hose clip is the answer and a simple and easy solution. Thanks Stuart.

Steve