The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine/Gearbox removal
Can anyone help me. I've removed the engine and gearbox from my 1931 RN, the only problem was the clutch pedal fouling on the bulkhead. It eventually came out but not without minor damage to the bulkhead. Reassembly has proven even more difficult. Because of the taper of the chassis the pedal fouls and I can't see any alternative but to slightly relieve the bulkhead to give a bit of clearance and repair it afterwards. Presumably during production they wouldn't have had a problem as the body was fitted later. Am  I missing a trick here ?  Huh
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Hi Barry

I’ve had the engine and box in and out of my RK several times (don’t ask why  Angry.)

Eventually I found that separating the engine and box makes it easier AND butchering the floor and making a bolt on cover makes it easier still!

Cheers

Howard
Basically, there are two choices. Either enlarge the pedal hole enough to allow the engine/ gearbox assembly to fit in as a unit, or you can position the gearbox in the chassis, then fit the engine and pop the gearbox on last. It’s not as difficult as it sounds.
Alan Fairless
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not as stupid as I was begining to think I was. Seems a crime to cut a hole in an 88 year old car. Not a problem at the factory as the body was put on later.  Smile
I've never worked on an RN but I can vouch for the fact that it's no big deal to mate the gearbox to the engine in the car as Alan proposes.
is there blind spline to deal with on 31 32, or is that only later cars?
I remove & refit the engine & gearbox as a unit in our RNs with the clutch pedal on it's shaft loose without it's cotter pin, once in place the cotter pin is then fitted.
Now there's an idea. I'll give it a whirl Wink

Yes there is
My RL came with a pre made slot in the bulkhead, its about 2 inches high, 3/4 inch wide and slightly curved.

As soon as dad saw it, he knew what it was for and we didn't weld it up.

Its ace, as you tip the engine over to get it out of the chassis taper the pedal goes straight into the slot and out the engine comes.

When the engine is in and all assembled you cant notice it at all, the rubbers hide the inside and you cant easily see it in the engine compartment.

I'll be doing it to the chummy and the RP as and when the engines need to come out.
Hedd, you really can't get away without that one having a photo.... :-)
So is that now the "Jones slot", or can it traced to early 750 Club advice somewhere, anyone ?