The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Verdigris removal from chrome
a friend has just purchased a box saloon which has sat in damp conditions for 25 years, hence the verdigris. Any tips on getting it off relatively easily. Will probably require stripping and replating some time in the future but would like to get the more presentable in the meanwhile.
Thanks
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I put stuff like this into an ultrasonic bath - the results are superb!
That's a hell of an ultrasonic bath if you can get a Box saloon in it...
It is!
Autosol is about the best chrome cleaner about. Try that. Ive seen miracles from it
Try sanding the worst of the verdigris off the chrome with a brass pot scourer followed by Autosol paste which should buff the remaining chrome up rather well

The brass pot scourer doesn't scratch the chrome, but will take the worst of the green lumps off far easier (& cheaper) than trying to take them off with fine paste Autosol

Aye
Greig
The old boy who ran the scrapyard in my illustration in the 'November Challenge' used the silver paper from old cigarette packets, well lubricated with spittle: worked a treat and added a bob or two to the value of bits he sold. Sounds very much like Greig's brass wool suggestion.
With ultrasonic cleaning, the dirt literally drops off...
Sounds stupid but scrunched up tin foil and diet coke work wonders on chrome.
Very fine wire wool works well. Doesn't scratch the chrome. Salvage Hunters on TV use it if you watch it.
Jim