The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
26va capacity well cover screw?
I have recently fitted the correct float chamber to my 26va carburettor which has made a great running improvement to my Ruby.
Looking through information for the carb I notice that it should have a screw covering the capacity well.
Does anybody know if the screw cover is essential to correct operation and, if so, does anybody know where I could obtain one ?
Thanks
Joe.
Joe, as the datasheet notes state " In the 26VA type carburetter the capacity well is cored the desired size and no capacity tube is required."
So, NO you do not need one; indeed the capacity well isn't threaded so it would be impossible to fit one.
Thanks for the reply Ian.
The 26 va exploded diagram shows the float chamber with the two external tubes and, as you state, does not show any screw cover in the capacity well. 
The correct float chamber that I have recently fitted to my carb is the flat bottomed type and reading the 26va notes and looking at the illustration which appears to show a flat bottomed chamber, there is mention of a screw cover. I have had a quick look at my float chamber and it does look to have a thread.
I will double check in the daylight.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Joe.
I have two carbs, both off RPs, plain bowl. Both have a well tube about 1 1/2 long retained by a threaded plug. The tube drilled 3.5mm, the cap a trace larger.
I have several VE carbs ex 10s and these have the external tubes and cast wells..
Thanks to Tony Betts for his efforts in identifying and supplying the correct capacity well cover screw for my float chamber. Much appreciated.
Car is now running well.
Just need the good weather to return now so I can get some more miles on the clock .
Regards
Joe.
Would you perhaps post a picture of the final layout to help others in the situation with the flat bottomed chamber?
Was it just the retaining cap that was missing or also the brass capacity tube?
Joe, sorry if I inadvertently misled you re. the capacity well. The few 26VAs on Austin sevens that I have experience of have all been as per the data sheet i.e. no insert in the capacity well. Maybe later carbs changed or, 26VAs originally on other vehicles have found there way onto A7s.
Jon, I will post a picture as soon as I get chance.

Bob , it was a fancy looking screw cap with a sleeve for centering the capacity tube and a vent hole in the top. The capacity tube itself appears to be a press fit in the float chamber.

Ian, no problem, it was only that i happened to see a small note on the diagram re the cover screw and thought I had better check. It's still all a bit new to me so I am grateful for any input via the forum.
It does seem that the fitting of this cover screw has improved both tick over and smooth running of the engine ?

Regards
Joe.