The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London to Brighton Veteran Car Run
Am I right in thinking that this is the second fatality on the Brighton run in the last three years?
Sorry but looking at the poor state of driving
I've seen on some of these runs that bringing
A driving test when you get to 65 years old is a good thing,
the ones i find are against it are some of
The worst drivers on the road ?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Why don't we just let the police and coroner do their work? If there is some deficiency in driving, signing or supervision of the event it will no doubt be brought to light.
(05-11-2019, 04:00 PM)spannerman Wrote: ... bringing

I would welcome the introduction of compulsory re-testing, say every five years, for all drivers, not just those over 65. It might remove, or at least wake up, the majority of drivers on the road. Sadly the present examination system couldn't cope with the volume of tests (and re-tests) that would ensue - it's never going to happen.
I believe the accident took place at the start of the M23. The A23 prior to the start is a rather narrow two lane dual road. There are two large white arrows painted on the road where the road veers left for the M23 and slightly right to stay on the A23.
The names of the roads are painted after the arrows. The Knox would have been travelling on the inner lane of the A23 and the outer lane would have been carrying a heavy amount of traffic overtaking the Veterans. There are some painted markers at the start of the separation of the roads. By the time the driver had seen and taken in the situation he would have been on the start of the M23 and realised he needed to cross the outer lane and get back onto the A23 .Before the arrows there is a grass verge and a cul de sac parallel with the A23 This would probably be where the Officials/marshals would have parked and been.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.283909...a=!3m1!7e3 gives a satellite of the junction.

Sorry the Google reference appear to show the M23 south of the M25 and you need to scroll northwards to Starbucks and GMC Cars on Line to see the A23/m23 split and use the satellite facility.
The current waiting list for a driving test is 6 to 8 weeks for provisional licence holders,  maybe a competence test rather than pass/fail, the chap who died was Canadian so did he get mixed up being used to driving on the right ?
As a former leader of an accident investigation team I'd just like to say this.

Unless you were a witness to this unfortunate "collision" (current PC speak) then anything posted on here is either an assumption or anecdotal. Please do not presume to be aware of the facts unless you are actually party to the evidence. (All of it). We don't know what the circumstances were that caused or may have contributed to this unfortunate incident despite what you might have heard from third parties or read in the press. I have seen it many times where a presumption of the circumstances has been totally overturned by the evidence revealed during the investigation. The rule is - do not make assumptions.

The Police will carry out a full and extensive enquiry into this fatal accident and if charges are to be brought then they will be, if the evidence supports it. Until then, you can only guess at the outcome.

Best keep our own counsel and leave conjecture to the media.
(06-11-2019, 09:14 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: As a former leader of an accident investigation team I'd just like to say this.

Unless you were a witness to this unfortunate "collision" (current PC speak) then anything posted on here is either an assumption or anecdotal. Please do not presume to be aware of the facts unless you are actually party to the evidence. (All of it). We don't know what the circumstances were that caused or may have contributed to this unfortunate incident despite what you might have heard from third parties or read in the press. I have seen it many times where a presumption of the circumstances has been totally overturned by the evidence revealed during the investigation. The rule is - do not make assumptions.

The Police will carry out a full and extensive enquiry into this fatal accident and if charges are to be brought then they will be, if the evidence supports it. Until then, you can only guess at the outcome.

Best keep our own counsel and leave conjecture to the media.

Conjecture and discussion is useful. Thinking about the possibilities makes us all more aware of how to avoid us causing accidents in the future.

And yes the police will carry out a full and extensive enquiry, but does it get published? We might all benefit from learning how accidents are caused, especially involving slow vehicles, but the information doesn't often reach the man in the street.
Agree absolutely with Reckers, too much speculation going on re this sad accident.
Wait for police and coroners reports
(05-11-2019, 04:21 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 04:00 PM)spannerman Wrote: ... bringing

I would welcome the introduction of compulsory re-testing, say every five years, for all drivers, not just those over 65. It might remove, or at least wake up, the majority of drivers on the road. Sadly the present examination system couldn't cope with the volume of tests (and re-tests) that would ensue - it's never going to happen.

Couldn't agree more!