The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Registering Ruby
No, Bruce. The key words are 'some years ago'! Dealing with DVLA got a lot harder when they closed the local offices, and in the last couple of years they have become almost totally obstructive even with applications that should be quite straightforward.
Thanks Mike. I will bear that in mind if the occasion arises again.
David, Martin and Robert have each highlighted potential problems, basically caused by incompetence within the Agency. I suggest if anyone has similar problems they report it direct to the Secretary of State for Transport, who has overall responsibility for the DVLA. Direct email to the Private Office is  Transport.Secretary@dft.gov.uk , the present incumbent is Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP, although that could change in December ...
Sincere thanks to everyone for your advice on re-registering Ruby. Lots of excellent pointers. I now feel forearmed, and reassured to hear of successful outcomes. I'm really looking forward to having my Ruby back on the road during late Spring or early Summer 2020.

By looking again at the logbook, I am surprised to discover that, despite its second owner having kept it for 25 years, I have owned it longer than anyone else; having bought it in 1971 when it was a mere 37 years old, I've now had it for 48 years. Good heavens. There's no wonder it was ready for a thorough overhaul!
Big Grin 
(31-10-2019, 11:46 PM)Anne Griffiths Wrote: Sincere thanks to everyone for your advice on re-registering Ruby. Lots of excellent pointers. I now feel forearmed, and reassured to hear of successful outcomes. I'm really looking forward to having my Ruby back on the road during late Spring or early Summer 2020.

By looking again at the logbook, I am surprised to discover that, despite its second owner having kept it for 25 years, I have owned it longer than anyone else; having bought it in 1971 when it was a mere 37 years old, I've now had it for 48 years. Good heavens. There's no wonder it was ready for a thorough overhaul!

I too hope to have my 1934 Ruby on the road next year. The DVLA process is behind me [Image: biggrin.png]

Mine was laid up in 1967, and I bought it 1982ish.
Hi,
within the last month, I went through the process of the re-registration of a previously green 1937 ruby, now with a green Ulster body.
The whole process taking 3 months .
I submitted a old V5 which was in the old previous owners name,  checking on line it existed but was shown as untaxed for many years.
I had a matching rolling chassis but nothing else. But have rebuilt it with a Rod Yates body.
I did perhaps mistakenly state it had a body conversion to an Ulster. 
I was in reply told by the DVLA it had been missing off their system for too long and so asked to submit photos and a rebuilt vehicle form.
The Form was submitted with photos of the car, showing original chassis plates etc.
But return I was told an inspection had to be undertaken and this was then arranged in about 3 weeks.
The Inspector duly arrived on the arranged date and took all the same photos as I had submitted.
Within about 2 weeks a new V5c arrived.
Car now registered as a black ruby, and with a completely different engine number.
I am Going to try simply updating the log book next.
Brett
Not an Austin 7 but I have just sold my 1924 Excelsior and posted off the V5C. It has been off the road since 1968 so I await the outcome with bated breath!