The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PROBLEM THROTTLE PEDAL
Tongue 
Hi all
Back again seaking wisdom, would like some advise on my throttle pedal arrangement on my special.
You can see from photo it's a unique but un satisfactory set up.  Space is very tight between brake pedal and body, it is driveable but can't help thinking there must be a better set up. 
I'm not even sure about the brake pedal , it appears rather long and compromises the placement of the throttle.
I'm not trying to find work, goodness knows I've spent to many happy hours since purchasing last yr working on this car but I'm determined to get it right! Huh

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

is not the problem merely glimpsed in the first pic i.e. its the body strut about 5" in front of it which stops you accessing it at an ergonomic foot angle? I know a similar car which I find a pig to drive when occasionally I get an offer to do so..
Is there any way you could provide the structural rigidity and lose the vertical -or at least thin it down or change its material. Do you have a door on that side of the car?
When I bought my special a few years ago, the plasterer who was selling it, removed his right boot to drive the car around the field. 
I realised why when I got the car home - the throttle pedal was, like yours, squeezed into a very narrow space and impossible to operate without touching the brake.
After several attempts to move things around, I changed it to a hand throttle [ motorcycle ignition lever ] on the steering wheel - a bit like 3 wheel  Morgans and others.   This works well - most of the time.  Full lock turns can take a bit of practice........
I have removed the rubber pad from the brake pedal in my Type 65 and still have to remove my size 11s to get to the accelerator. Somewhere in the garage I have my EB rock climbing boots, but until they surface I am resigned to driving in 50% stockinged feet. I too make extensive use of the hand throttle.
Hi Paul

This may not be possible on your car but you may be able to offset the pedal pad.  I turned up a 3mm disc, brazed a 5/16” nut on one side which gave some much needed space between the brake and accelerator.

Attached Files
.jpeg   0224EABB-195B-479F-B351-DE6F41251D76.jpeg (Size: 98.64 KB / Downloads: 212)

.jpg   IMG_2151.JPG (Size: 52.12 KB / Downloads: 193)
.jpg   IMG_2149.JPG (Size: 65.67 KB / Downloads: 192)

Hi Paul,

When I built my special (1927 chassis), I struggled with how to make an effective throttle pedal without needing a "blister" on the side of the footwell to accommodate my right foot and pedal. I ended up with a go kart inspired simple throttle pedal made from a piece of round bar about 10mm dia which I welded to the standard throttle actuating rod which runs along the bulkhead. This set up works very well for me. I have size 11 feet, and although I have to be selective about footwear for driving the seven, as long as I wear trainers or similar I can heel and toe etc. without catching my foot between the pedals. 

Hope this helps, and the pictures are clear enough.

Cheers.

Robin
Hi all 
Thanks for all the replys, great as ever
No door on drivers side JonE , Colin planning to do the Measham in February so think driving in sock may be a little too chilly for me.
Robin, like your idea of the rod, may be a solution for me. Looks simple ,effective and takes up minimum space something for me to work on.
Many thanks to all replies.
Hi Paul, the same problem here which is entirely my own making. I really didn't think it through properly when building my special and as JonE has mentioned the front 'bulkhead loop' doesn't allow the foot angle. As it involves major surgery to correct it I opted to set the pedal up and towards the driver. Not the best, but making sure I could operate the brake without the risk of catching my foot is number one priority. After a year of driving I have got used to it but no chance of being able to toe/heal.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)