The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ignition switch
Sorry about all these silly questions but i'm new to this....

My ignition switch is a bit dodgy you have to push it in before it will turn the car on and sometimes that doesn't work, so I am going to put a switch on can someone tell me how to wire it up.

Thanks Andrew
Wiring diagrams on Dorset A7 Club and Cornwall A7 Club sites.
A word of warning - if it's a Lucas switch and it's your intention of taking it apart, then do it under a cloth or in a large plastic bag so that you don't lose any bits... that's the easy bit - putting it back together is the difficult part.

I got round it by by-passing the ignition switch part and use a hidden switch under the dash to turn the current on. Run a wire direct from the battery via the switch to the SW terminal on the coil (or to where that wire is connected on the junction block). If your car is -ve earth that means from the + terminal on the battery to the + terminal on the ignition coil (the one that goes to the distributor). If you've done it right the ignition light should come on twhen you close the switch.
Can't a switch be fitted using the wires from the original switch ???
hi andrew.

the spade key for the ignision is like the pitch on a roof, when turned the chrome centre it goes in will pust the key in.

so you should "push and turn" the key at the same time.

once the chrome piece is worn, the key doesnt push down. 

it will still turn the ignision on, but only for so long.

when you open the switch, you will see the oblong plate that operates the on / off has rung off in its centre. were the end of the key mechanismn entres it.

it will be obvious when its open why you need to push the key down.

how to repair it ???

when putting it back together, be careful the pressure you put on the case. it is only brittle bakalite.
the sections inside are usually tight on the switch, id suggest a light file so the push back together easily.
also they will only go back together won way, as one section is smaller than the other three.

with tipex, spot the small section on the switch, then do the same on top of the two plates. 

that way you can see everything line up when you push it all back together.

its very easy to do, once you apply a couple of little cheats.

needless to say ive done plenty.

tony
I'v PM you Tony...