The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
rear springs
Forget where I saw the bit about road surface camber and strength of the rear springs.

If one of the pair has more 'softness' would not the camber of
that spring have to be increased to even up the geometry when the car is loaded?

Has anyone noticed any dimensional differences on late RP springs?
Were later Rubys and low chassis cars similiarly equipped? 

Perhaps we should consult the oracle at Dunford (AP or scion) who might advise?

IanC
Its interesting, but fraught with difficulty as unless the date stamps are obvious, you are never really going to know what is original, what is swapped, and what is replaced? It would be worth getting known/remembered case histories from people like Ian and Bill which developed their own knowledge, and assessing cars like the very low mileage examples where complete histories are known. The Danks RF, Rinsey Mills RK and so on.
Couple of years ago I had to replace rear springs on our 1937 Opal. I found the standard springs for the Ruby were too stiff and over cambered. The answer, after talking this through with Ian Dunford, was to fit springs as supplied for the Nippy. This has proved entirely satisfactory and gives a good ride combined with the right degree of visual clearance between top of tyre and bottom edge of rear wings.

Charles in sunny Norfolk
from index cards. Not much help on spec, but a start on leaves! Perhaps someone could start to make a table from these adding the other information known?

.png   Screenshot 2019-10-30 10.51.17.png (Size: 572.33 KB / Downloads: 247)
.png   Screenshot 2019-10-30 10.51.40.png (Size: 582.44 KB / Downloads: 245)
So --- it would seem there WERE offside/nearside spring differences continuing to the low chassis model Ruby and Pearl from August '34. 
But WHAT were the differences in specification AND FOR WHAT REASONING?

SOMEWHERE, SOMEHOWE, SOMEONE KNOWS???

IanC
Yup

My 'Austin Service Journal' copies tell me that the factory advised dealers that "slightly stiffer" offside rear springs were used
BUT no clue as to how this was achieved or (more importantly?) why.

Were Longbridge subscribing to the 'mushroom' system of management?

Ian