The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front tie bars advise please.
Recently found some play in the riveted fixing that both tie bars attach to on the centre cross member.
I would imagine the rivets are slightly worn, is this acceptable and something I can expect or is it in need of replacements.
If so can the rivets be removed and replaced with bolts, and who would supply them.
Many thanks
Paul
Hi Paul

By “tie bars” I assume you mean radius arms running between the front axle and ball flange on the front cross member.

If so then I didn’t realise that the ball flange was originally riveted. On the three cars I have owned the ball flange has been bolted.  I have found, however, that conventional bolt heads do not leave a lot of clearance when fitting the radius arms, brass cups (ball sockets?) and through bolt. Perhaps round head (Allan key) bolts may give more room but these are perhaps not for the purists?

I use Nyloc nuts behind the bolts.

Cheers

Howard
If the rivets are noticeably loose bolts and self-locking nuts have to be an improvement. Of course solid rivets can be replaced, but it's not that easy unless you are well versed in such operations.