The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting new 5.25 Cw & P to a banjo axle
I have a friend who is trying to fit a new 5.25 crown wheel and pinion to an RN banjo axle and has found that the pinion is too far from the crown wheel. Has anybody any experience of this work?
What 5.25 CW & P is he using? The 1" diameter one that takes a ball race behind the pinion or a 1 1/8" Roller bearing style one.
When you say 'new', Dave do you mean a newly manufactured CW&P or an original CW&P that is 'new' to this, particular, banjo. I've fitted both options in recent times to long nose banjos and had no issues.

Steve
It is possible that the CW&P is for a "screw-in torque tube" axle which you are trying to fit to a "flanged torque tube" axle - or vice versa. The two are definitely not interchangeable.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Which axle type does an RN have?
Flanged torque tube banjo, which would have had a 1" pinion from the factory. The 1 1/8" pinion also fits but needs to go in with the late style roller bearing and the correct later style spacer for the roller race axle.
I have had this problem on a 31 banjo axle there are a couple of ways to correct it, put a shim behind the pair of thrust bearings, I used a piston ring or two from a twin rail and spacer oil ring. Use shims between the ball race and the pinion or machine off the six bolt torque tube flange or reface the banjo flange face, it depends how much you need to remove to get enough mesh. If you remove to much from the flange or shim the pinion to deep you can correct it with torque tube shims.
Terry.
A newly manufactured CW & P, when it was delivered to my workshop for my view it became obvious that the makers instructions were misleading. Problem solved, thanks for your help.