The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1927 Chummy #6 Dynamo removal
Please could someone advise me if it is possible to remove the dynamo alone, leaving the casing in place? This is the illustration from Woodrow. Do A and  B hold the dynamo in place?

.jpg   Dynamo.jpg (Size: 94.02 KB / Downloads: 388)
Yes - you must loosen A and then remove B.

It can be tight but should rotate back and forth, then out!
Many thanks Ruairidh. How long is bolt B? Can it be removed sufficiently without taking the fan carrier off?
Bolt B is of a similar type to a front camshaft bearing locator, quite short with a plain portion at the end.
Robert Leigh
Phew, relief. Thanks Robert.
Bolt "B" should be an oiler in fact. It connects to an oilway that in turn connects to the front dynamo bearing. These oilers are unobtainable right now, I was going to make something up by using a 7/16 BSF bolt. The head needs to be reduced to 3/8 WW I think and the bolt is then through drilled with a spring loaded oiler pressed into the top (one of these):

.jpg   images.jpg (Size: 4.71 KB / Downloads: 254)

Another project for later!
A gentle nudge with an oil filter removing strap / tool helps too.. mine is made with a rubber strap so doesn't mark or damage the dynamo
That's interesting, thanks. In the absence of such a thing would it make sense to occasionally remove bolt B and pop a drip or two of oil down the hole?
In practice, that's what I do! Don't go overboard though. I WILL get round to making the oiler one day.
Yes, I do have the oiler on mine. Nick's question referred to a bolt, and my aged memory forgot the real situation.
Robert Leigh