The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cleaning-down fluids
I've recently become a real convert to Screwfix 'No Nonsense Heavy Duty De-Greaser' which is water based. £8.99 for 5 litres and it really is amazing stuff. Spray it on anything that is greasy/oily or just dirty using an old bathroom cleaner type sprayer, leave for a few minutes, hose off. Spray it on wire wheels, muddy tyres or whatever and it works the same. No greasy residue, no smell. Use neat or diluted depending on what you're looking to shift. I'm always a bit suspicious when I come across something that has such good reviews on a supplier's web site but in this case, they're fully justified.

Steve
With regards to gloves - I use these: https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/78273.htm...gLSYPD_BwE

I tried others but they either became brittle or very swollen.
I have used petrol for the last 50 years, and no gloves.
The Screwfix stuff sounds interesting to try, working on 6 quid a gallon as minimum cost for a pumped fuel so the extra would save me buying the tubes of value toothpaste for present hand cleanup!
Although sounds liike central heating oil may be cheaper if that is the same as kerosine.
I'm with Andrew. I've been using Petrol today as a degreaser on my steam roller. With brush to agitate is really is good stuff. Graphite mixed with cylinder oil was the stuff to remove today.

I use red diesel to clean down the steamer generally. Gets the fresh oil off and leaves a shine. Paraffin and petrol leave a dry dusty surface.
Use gunwash cellulose it a lot cheaper than thinners
I buy in 25 ltr drums and is at least 1/3 ,price
Of thinners but use gloves it a lot safer! !
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Brake cleaner is good. Since I have oil central heating, I have been known to run a drop of kerosene out of the tank for cleaning purposes. However, I have a quantity of diesel/petrol mix drained from a friend's car when he accidentally put the wrong fuel into it. That works a treat!

Never used gloves, which is probably why my hands are like sandpaper!
Cellulose gun cleaner is a good degreaser and will also strip paint, but should be used in a well ventilated area, it also has a habit of eating its way through the can it is stored in if left for long periods of time. I learn't this to my cost after losing one unopened 5 lt tin and most of another tin that I transferred into an old paraffin tin only to have that leak withing a couple of months, I saved about 3/4 of a large Nescafe jar of gun cleaner and then lost half of that when the fumes melted the plastic lid.