The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cleaning-down fluids
I was reading Chris Gould's short book for skilling-up newbie Austin 7 restorers which is good and instructional on basics. 

He has a paraffin bath described which recycles things back for re-use, cleaning off parts and the like. I had been pondering whether my use of diesel in plastic shaker pots was the best thing, adopted largely as I thought it was cheapest for volume (and someone had mentioned it was good for freeing things off). Chris said diesel can cause dermatitis.

What do others use and why?
I use Kersosine, Jizer and Marine Clean.

Each is good for different types of cleaning - all are useful and well worth buying.
I also use chemical proof gloves for all.
Yes, looking back I can't quite beleive how cavalier we were with red diesel, creosote, cuprinol or almost anything. So the important message is to echo Ruairidh, wear the gloves!
I've never tried Jizer but yes to paraffin and Marine Clean, also Gunk - depends on the task. 

Paraffin is disproportionately expensive these days (I recall in my youth adding a bit in the petrol tank to make my funds go a little further). I also had a foot swell up like a melon after I spilled some on my sock and failed to remove it quickly. So heed Ruairidh's words about protective gloves.
Hi, Can you explain what kersosine is. I sounds american is some special refined paraffin or in the USA Kerosine.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Kerosene is Paraffin by it's North American name. Can be bought cheaply as central heating oil these days.

I use Jizer or Gunk as they are both soluble, allowing a wash down with water. However, the "good" solvents were banned from these products some years ago and they are poor at dissolving dirt now. I usually add a splash of cellulose thinners to my Jizer bath to give it some guts.
You can buy special parts washer fluid to go in the parts washers sold by Machine Mart etc. These have a longer life as they are not soluble and therefore don't pick up atmospheric moisture but they do die and need changing sooner or later. 

Brake cleaner from a spray bottle or aerosol can is also useful, as is cellulose thinners as these have neat solvents (Acetone, Toluene etc) that will remove stubborn dirt and stains.
If you want gloves which behave satisfactorily with petroleum products (oil, paraffin, petrol, etc) don't buy latex: it changes dimensions becoming floppy and wrinkled with these. Nitrile gloves are fine but not so easy to find on market stalls. Also plastic gloves are alright except that they develop little holes rather easily. Any of these will give protection against the bad effects of cleaning liquids until they perforate.
Robert Leigh
Kerosene = paraffin = jet fuel!
Yes I know kerosene is USA for paraffin however Rory stated kERSOSiNE perhaps it was just a typing error.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.