The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"..owns the rights to use the old Austin Motor Company logo"
Hmm, not sure. Was that actually the name that was/is owned by BMW?

Presumably, I could register a company called "The Austin Motor Company (Successors 2019) Limited", provided that the owner of similar named businesses didn't object.

I'm not sure how much BMW care about the old British Motor Industry brands, I know there was a plan some years ago to re-introduce "Riley" as a sporting brand but it came to nothing.
This is from the Wiki page on Al:air batteries:

"Aluminium as a "fuel" for vehicles has been studied by Yang and Knickle.[1] They concluded:

The Al/air battery system can generate enough energy and power for driving ranges and acceleration similar to gasoline powered cars...the cost of aluminium as an anode can be as low as US$ 1.1/kg as long as the reaction product is recycled. The total fuel efficiency during the cycle process in Al/air electric vehicles (EVs) can be 15% (present stage) or 20% (projected), comparable to that of internal combustion engine vehicles (ICEs) (13%). The design battery energy density is 1300 Wh/kg (present) or 2000 Wh/kg (projected). The cost of battery system chosen to evaluate is US$ 30/kW (present) or US$ 29/kW (projected). Al/air EVs life-cycle analysis was conducted and compared to lead/acid and nickel metal hydride (NiMH) EVs. Only the Al/air EVs can be projected to have a travel range comparable to ICEs. From this analysis, Al/air EVs are the most promising candidates compared to ICEs in terms of travel range, purchase price, fuel cost, and life-cycle cost.

Technical problems remain to be solved to make Al–air batteries suitable for electric vehicles. Anodes made of pure aluminium are corroded by the electrolyte, so the aluminium is usually alloyed with tin or other elements. The hydrated alumina that is created by the cell reaction forms a gel-like substance at the anode and reduces the electricity output. This is an issue being addressed in the development work on Al–air cells. For example, additives that form the alumina as a powder rather than a gel have been developed.

Modern air cathodes consist of a reactive layer of carbon with a nickel-grid current collector, a catalyst (e.g., cobalt), and a porous hydrophobic PTFE film that prevents electrolyte leakage. The oxygen in the air passes through the PTFE then reacts with the water to create hydroxide ions. These cathodes work well but they can be expensive."

So, one to watch?

But an Austin Seven without the engine - surely not an Austin Seven?

Colin
"Fuels cells are a development of primary cells but with one significant difference from their predecessors, the chemical potential energy source or 'fuel' can be continually fed in to give the cell a long active life."
(22-10-2019, 03:51 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: Going back to the original question, I don't know about the logo, but I was slightly surprised when I searched Companies House to find that "Austin Motor Company Limited" is now the name of a garage business in Essex.  One might have thought that it would have stayed with the successor companies.

If the original Austin business was still a company it would be open to challenge under section 69 of the Companies Act. However since that company doesn't exist you can register a company in that name. However the use of the name Austin, when applied to almost anything automotive, is covered by current trademark registration. Whether the garage business in question crosses that boundary is someone else's problem!

Charles