The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Body snatchers
Yet another half-decent Ruby is destroyed to make a special:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-seven-...SwqIldqKRU
Shame.
that looks like the nice original one that sold in Northants area 6 months back?
I agree a shame, is it me but this practice seems to have be on the rise again in the UK since the abolishment of MOT, the BOC debacle, etc. Either way its interesting how times have changed, those with long memories will recall the days when Rubies were looked at with total distain by a lot of Austin 7 people, and how many perfectly good vintage saloons and chummy's were turned into specials during the 50"s 60" and 70"s. At least it is not a Mulliner Saloon thats been destroyed as we had a couple of years ago, look at the bright side with each one that disappears the survivors become more valuable!! Lol (Thats a joke for those with no sense of humour!)
Black Art Enthusiast
I suppose if you attempt to build a special by accumulating parts individually, it would be a prohibitively expensive business. Rather like any worn-out machine (from a Ruby to an aircraft), its value in parts far exceeds its together value. A couple of multi-millionaires I've come across both started by breaking scrap cars and motorcycles in their back garden - both reckoned upon a multiplication factor of between 50 and 500 for the investment.
Yes, I saw that one, it was way to good to break up for a special...let’s hope the DVLA gives him a really hard time when he tries to get it registered!
It's amazing what gets through the DVLA. Just look at this beautifully-engineered Ford Popular. From reading the description it appears that the only original parts to have survived are some sections of the body shell - yet it's still cleared as "Historic" with no MOT or tax payable: https://www.classicandsportscar.com/clas...er/8877409
That Pop is indeed beautifully engineered, I note that it was built to Individual Vehicle Approval spec, which is quite a challenge these days with safety and emissions and noise checks, but A little easier years ago.
(21-10-2019, 02:12 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: That Pop is indeed beautifully engineered, I note that it was built to Individual Vehicle Approval spec, which is quite a challenge these days with safety and emissions and noise checks, but A little easier years ago.

I wonder how that chap is getting on with his 110 bhp V4 Honda-engined Ruby missile?
I would very much like to buy a 1/2 decent body that fits on a 6' short chassis....

if anyone knows of one for sensible ££

cheers
Matt