The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic brake conversion
(17-10-2019, 10:50 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Stuart

If the current  machine is a special, how original is the front suspension and the axle location, or  inadequacy thereof?

My one brake alteration would be to put on Bowdenex cables, if I could ever find a set. This would be to allow marginally better turning circle, or at least to execute tight turns without slowing forward progress by tightening cables applying brakes. I know doing Autosolos and Driving Tests in a Ruby is probably a sad activity but somebody has to do it.

My special has a big seven front axle and now has home fabricated radius arms. I changed from the factory Big seven radius arms to improve the car's steering geometry. The car was built into a special in the 1950s with a then fashionable trials car front setup.

[Image: 40538556054_eb7a22fc3b_z.jpg]

I have also set up a special that has hydraulics on a Girling front axle with the Girling style radius arms; no problems with that one either.

One thing regarding overall rigidity that may have a bearing -no pun intended- was that  I built up with weld and shrank the kingpin eyes on the axles of both of these cars before installing the brake setup. This is the big seven axle but the Girling axle had a similar build up of metal around the king pin eye.

[Image: 31857276604_6dd440982c_z.jpg]
In my book a Girling front axle and radius arms would be the best choice (if you're not like Stuart with a very special axle)
If you have a lowered front axle (a la Ulster) then radius arm braces are usually needed.

Charles