The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copper Head gasket which way up?
I always fit crimped side towards the block (you can see from previous entries on this thread everybody has there own preference but the engine still runs.) As to torquing down I don’t I use a normal combination spanner of the correct size for the nut and tighten in sequence until they are all tight and snug. I have had no problems as yet. I also get the the engine hot by taking it for a run then give it a final tighten whilst hot. The torquing of nuts and studs can vary depending on if they are fitted dry or lubricated with oil.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
This subject has been discussed at length before on this Site.  Although my preference is for crimped side up, the early Handbooks  state one way, later Handbooks say the other.  Perhaps even Austins weren't sure?   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
The topic of stud torque has been covered at length. Even 20 lbs ft assumes material superior to normal hardware HT bolts which may or may not have been the case. In their day most owners would just use appropraite length ring spanners. A broken stud is not trivial.
Austin did not postpone a modern style reasonable compression head until the 3 bearing crank for nothing. The h.c. head, esp when planed, is distinctly more harsh esp on the two brg engine.
Heads seem to be nominally 1.5 inches thick.
In the 1960s a faint smear of grease was the general recommendation.  I have always adopted on various cars but many gaskets were varnish coated and any grease always seemed inappropriate. i have worked on cars where thick graphite grease had pressed hollows into the gasket!
Surely, it's obvious which way crimped side goes?
Up in the northern hemisphere, and down 'Down Under'.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
And sideways at the equator ? Big Grin