The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Couple of Gearbox Questions
I have always thought Mobil 1 was the best oil to use. Pricey, though!
AFMT..Anti Friction Metal Treatment.
"Bearings to skid"......are you aware of the large amount of research a certain large Japanese firm are putting into decreasing friction in their bearings?
Over 40,000 miles use in my V6 3 Lit. Scimitar and Gearbox, overdrive, engine, back axle and power steering all going well (now on 103,000 miles overall).
This stuff is not to be confused with other rubbish that is around, and is certainly not "snake oil" just a modern chemically well developed product that has been proven by two of the largest most respected independent (from large oil companies) institutes.  
There are those who live in the past and do not accept development in oils...........as one of our well respected, now deceased,  members who was advanced in engine development, used to say "20/50 is good for clapped out mowers.
But then I have never used my 7s for mowing.
A modern fully synthetic oil of the right spec for the application and with the mechanical parts properly prepared (full engine clean out) is far better than mineral oil.  Then take it to the next level by the addition of AFMT
Note the film strength of even the best synthetic......around 7,000 pounds per sq. inch compared with AFMT with its proven 200,000psi.

Dennis
Hmm, two words come to mind. Sledgehammer and Nut. If it’s as good as you say, and it’s been around a while, why aren’t the (very competitive) oil companies adding it to their standard products?
Alan Fairless
One might imagine that for any sort of gearbox one has to use an EP (Extreme Pressure) oil - but this is not necessarily the case. EP oils contain sulphur - in either an active form - that will attack bronze, copper and their alloys - or an inactive, which won't. If an EP oil has an API rating of either GL-4 or GL-5 then the sulphur is inactive and safe to use in boxes with bronze bearings. However, engine oil is fine - and used for decades by thousands of Seven owners.

(06-10-2019, 02:31 PM)Alan Wrote: Hmm, two words come to mind. Sledgehammer and Nut. If it’s as good as you say, and it’s been around a while, why aren’t the (very competitive) oil companies adding it to their standard products?
My thoughs exactly. If it's as good as claimed, surely ever F1 engine would be using it - and the makers shouting the fact from the rooftops. In addition, it's not unusual to find many cars running up huge mileages on the same engine without wearing it out; there are plenty of examples around including 451,000. The local garage had a Honda GC125 motorcycle in a few years ago that had clocked up over 80,000 miles on one engine - and that just a cheap, commuter 125cc - so modern oild must be pretty good and not need anything adding to them. However, if you put a teaspoon-full of 3-in-One oil in your back axle to reduce oil drag, a drop of the old Molyslip might be in order..... (no, I've never tried it).
Big Grin 
Don't use it..........They do not own the rights to the patent. 
 How often have any of the big companies used each others "best in the world products".
Sledgehammer......no, just showing that the capabilities are far beyond what a 7 would put it through at its limits.
I am a very sceptical person and do much research before adopting or believing in products.

I am not a salesman and have nothing to do with the company, just enjoy the savings and like to pass on to others things I find helpful.

As ever anyone feeling MIRA are misleading people, they are free to take them on and scientifically prove them wrong!  Big Grin

Dennis
(06-10-2019, 04:28 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: As ever anyone feeling MIRA are misleading people, they are free to take them on and scientifically prove them wrong!  Big Grin

Dennis

Well, I’ve done that before now.  Big Grin Big Grin
Alan Fairless
The best oil for 3and 4spd g/boxes we have found is 75/90 GL4 semi synthetic, for race boxes use the MT 90 fully synthetic as they get very hot, the price has no doubt increased since as this is an old photo. this is a light gear oil so about the same viscosity as SAE 30 but with all the properties of a gear oil. For engines I use Halfords 15/40 semi synthetic at  5ltrs for £20 very reasonable, for race engines Valvoline 20/50 race oil is very good as it has a stable viscosity at high temperatures.

Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It is worth knowing that SEMI synthetic labeled on UK used oils does NOT mean that it is half synthetic.  Apparently our law permits the term to be used even if there is only a tiny synthetic content!  Believe other countries/regions have different approach to this.
It all ads to the confusion  Sad

Dennis
It is worth noting that modern 'mineral' oils contain around 30% additives - which are 'synthetic' . 

Mobil 1 used to be a fully Synthetic Oil but following Castrol calling their highly refined mineral oil a synthetic, apparently Mobil 1 'synthetic' is now a highly refined mineral oil under the looser regulations.
It is hard to obtain objective  info on oils. it may be somewhere on the Net but the book Four Stroke Performance Tuning A Graham Bell laboouriously covers oils including the then 2012 distinction between the various labels synthetic e4tc.