The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear light glasses - clear version available?
(06-10-2019, 05:51 PM)Austin Carr Wrote: Ruairidh, if you can't find a clear lens, is 3D printing an option?

In my (very limited) experience it's possible to 3D print coarse threads with a home-type priinter, but not in this case with its large diameter, thin wall and fine pitch. Still, might be worth a try if one has a few hours to spare...
be easy enough to cast a silicone mould from an exisiting lense.

Then liberate the bronze thready bit and cast a clear one in resin.

Might be easier to turn one on a lathe from a lump of clear resin however. Then glue in the thread.
(06-10-2019, 04:34 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Thanks you for taking the time to do that Austin - those are not quite right unfortunately.

I am looking for a clear lens for this type of light (photo from 7Workshop site):

[Image: austin7rearlampsmallround__3000001__.jpg]

Only ever seen the orange lensed indicator version without the side window as an alternative but seeing the other variants with a plain lens it might be available. Ask the Complete Automobilist or Paul Beck.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/
        I bought some original style glass lenses from John Barlow, these fit inside the brass threaded section which I carefully removed from inside the plastic lens. 
So I suggest that you extract the threaded ring and take it to a glass merchant and ask for a 3mm glass disc to fit it. My camera doesn't like being dropped from a great height onto a concrete floor.
Hi Ruairidh 

These lenses have a threaded brass insert. I reckon you could 
make rubber mould of the red lens , cast it in liquid acrylic, then
Machine the casting and insert the brass part.

Tom used to cast the GE front lamp lenses this way I think.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
You would need a threaded brass insert, but are these any good ?

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/p...ategory/70
Thank you for all your suggestions everyone - very helpful.
All the suppliers appear to have stopped stocking the reproduction Lucas AT 201L tail lamp ! 

This was a copy of the original style with a black screw on cap. 

I bought one- removed the ribbed plastic insert and fitted a clear piece of plastic from some packaging as the side lens plus an original red glass lens and it is almost indistinguishable from the original .

It appears as though to do this now you have to somehow take off the red or orange plastic lens from the brass insert  Huh