The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Speedex dampers
AVO.co.uk very helpful and supplied lightweight adjustables for the front ,their website lists them by open and closed lengths ,they suggested I give the MGC GT shocks on the rear a try first .
This is a complex subject.
Having followed this thread I hope you dont mind me chucking in my tuppence worth at this late stage.

I suggest you do as much research as possible before forking out your hard earned on what you are in essence guessing will work. If the original specs can be established (e.g. via any Speedex contacts as has been suggested) and then matched with modern units I would have though thats you best answer. 

AVO or similar should then be able to make up adjustable units to match. This will come at a cost though but at least you will get what you actually need.

If it is not possible to determing the original specs then AVO or similar should be asking you for some basic info over and above the travel lengths and fittings such as:

Overall weight of car.
F/R weight ratio with driver/fuel etc.
Unsprung weight of F & R axles.
Spring rates F & R. (this will not be so easy to provide but is possible but dont worry if you cant)

Off the shelf MGC or otherwise are unlikely to be ideal just because the travel lengths and ends happen to suit.
Also it is entierly likely that your current dampers do not have the same valve settings as the ones originally fitted by Speedex, being replaced some time in the past by whateven has been available.

Also you dont say what the car is going to be used for in the main.
Getting a full set of adjustables made up to suit the car as above will give you the best range of set up options for road and any track use and make for the most enjoyable driving experience in general.

Not cheap but spend the money once on the best you can afford seems the best way forward to me.

Best of luck,

Paul N-M
Very much appreciate all your contributions , road tested the car finally after all the rain , the adjustables set to mid range and car damped nicely , no unusual actions over potholes . Rear is firmer than previously but think the former dampers were shot so didn’t offeri anything to the ride so was to be expected . As I plan to enter 750mc race events I have the option to firm up the fronts for the track where sacrificing the ride won’t be an issue . Many thanks again for your inputs .
Final feedback report . Had a 20 mile shakedown run ,pleased with the reliability . Front dampers adjusted to mid range and performed just fine . The rear heavyweight rear dampers were fine on the good surface new bypass so would be ok on race track. however on rough backroads pressing on was uncomfortable . I will now order adjustables for the rears as recommended and have thoption to firm up for racing . I have a pair of MGC front hardly used going spare .